Google Fiber Coming to Provo By The End Of 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,883
Points 1,116,855
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Aug 18 2013 10:44 AM
Months after Google surprisingly selected Provo, Utah as one of the first cities to get the Google Fiber treatment, and weeks after the city officially closed the deal with Google, the search giant-come-ISP said in a blog post that service is coming by the end of the year.

Before that happens, though, Google needs to upgrade Provo’s existing fiber network--the city’s expensive fiber-optic “iProvo” network was in need of rescue--and also work with managers of larger properties to get everything hooked up. “We’re spending a lot of time talking with property managers and owners of large apartment building and condominiums. Planning for and installing Google Fiber in these big buildings takes a lot of time, so if you manage a building with 5 or more units, we’d love to start chatting with you now — please get in touch with us!” reads a blog post by Michael Slinger, Director of Business Operations for Google Fiber.

Google Fiber Provo, Utah

Google also confirmed its service plans and pricing, which will come in three tiers. The first is free Internet, which gets Provoians 5Mbps down/1Mbps up for seven years. The second is gigabit Internet--1Gbps up and down--for $70 per month, and the top tier includes gigabit Internet and TV service (which includes the ability to DVR up to 8 shows at once and store 500 hours of HD content on a Storage Box) for $120 per month. All plans will require a one-time $30 construction fee.

Lighting up Provo in just a few months still seems like somewhat of a lofty goal, but if anyone can pull it off, it’s Google with it’s incredibly deep pockets and never-ending human resources.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 4:49 PM

Getting Provo done doesn't seem like to big of deal. If I remember right when they first announced it the network was I think about 90% already built it just needed to be finished and Google needed to get their equipment in. I've seen how fast TWC and AT&T can built so I assume Google can do the same.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 8:01 PM

Lucky Provo,.....

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 651
Points 5,915
mhenriday replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 7:14 AM

Can't help wondering if the fact that Provo lies only a little more than 40 km from Bluffdale influenced Google's choice of this town....

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 12:52 PM

Provo got picked im 99% sure because the city built its own fiber network already and they just needed someone to finish it. KC and Austin got picked because of its infrastructure. 80-90% of everything is overhead on poles so its easier to run brand new fiber.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS