Shortcuts

Oops: Turkish Security Researcher Claims Responsibility for Apple Developer Portal Hack

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,685
Points 1,155,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 22 2013 3:25 PM

A mere day after Apple confirmed that its developer portal had been broken into, a Turkish man named Ibrahim Balic has (bravely?) fessed-up, claiming all responsibility. Apple has yet to comment on the situation, and we're not even sure it will, at least publicly. If Balic is in fact the source of the attack, Apple might wish to take actions other than simply confirming that he was in fact at the heart of things.

To help back up Balic's claims, he uploaded a video to YouTube that proved that he could gain information from Apple's database; at the forefront, user IDs. This video has since been taken down (allegedly not by him), likely as the result of a request by Apple, as the video clearly displayed confidential information.

Bungie's Destiny

According to Balic, his intention was never to cause harm, or make off with people's data. Instead, he said that he was trying to prove to Apple about how vulnerable its system is. Over the course of a few days, he submitted 13 separate bugs to Apple, and not long after, the entire developer network was taken down. If Balic's intentions were in fact only to help greater secure Apple's system, you can imagine how he might have felt with that being the reaction.

What's most upsetting about all of this isn't the fact that someone exploited a bunch of data on this massive network, but that they were able to. We're dealing with some unbelievable trends here, where bigger and bigger networks are being targeted. This past weekend, it was discovered that Ubuntu's official forums had been exploited as well, resulting in nearly 20 million users having some of their data exposed.

By all appearences, Balic seems to be telling the truth, especially with the evidence that was quickly covered up by YouTube. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, and see how Apple chooses to comment from this point forward.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 4:20 PM

I'm glad it was done by an individual rather than an organization that may have had some shady intentions for the stolen information.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,556
Points 103,035
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 8:20 PM

I wonder if they'll hang him at noon now?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

White hat hacker good guy, exposes flaws, takes blame.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 536
Points 4,485
ajm531 replied on Tue, Jul 23 2013 12:09 AM

you think he could at least have given apple some heads up like hey might be trying to expose some flaws in your system.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 5:34 PM

realneil:

I wonder if they'll hang him at noon now?

Pretty sure Turks do worse than that :P

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS