Survey Says 75 Percent of Americans Still Prefer Paper Books to eReaders

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,708
Points 1,208,045
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 21 2013 12:17 PM
It's easy to view the overall decline in the print newspaper business, coupled with the surge in e-reader and tablet ownership, as a death knell for paper books. After all, the printed word has been around for so long, that surely it must be on its way out -- right? Well, perhaps in some instances, but not in others. A new Rasmussen Report suggests that three in four U.S.-based readers "still prefer a traditional book over an electronic book-reading device and continue to reads books that way."

The report is based on a telephone survey, and it found that 75% of American Adults would rather read a book in a traditional print format than on an electronic book-reading device like a Kindle. Fifteen percent (15%) prefer reading on an electronic device. Ten percent (10%) are undecided. The survey of 1,000 Adults was conducted on July 11-12, 2013, but it's important to note that this is simply showcasing preference. The reality of how exactly people do read can often be different. For example, many may prefer a full desktop with a 30" LCD monitor, but due to cost and mobility constraints, those same folks end up relying on a notebook.

For those who travel, hauling around a paperback can be more of a burden than hauling around a multi-faceted e-reader or tablet. Still, semantics aside, it's quite interesting to see the love for print. We suspect it'll continue to fade as newer generations become the majority and that nostalgic love for print begins to fade.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 535

I've read more books in the past year on my Nexus 7 than i've read in my entire life.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 135

I think this has to do with a generation gap more than anything. Older generations are less tech savvy and are less likely to use a e-reader. But the older generation is also probably the largest consumer of books.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 360

Question! What's an eReader?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,685
Points 55,800
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 2:20 PM

Come one now Shannon. :)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book_reader

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,950
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 3:30 PM

I use the heck out of my Kindle. I can carry dozens of books in it at once, and it's easy on my eyes too.

I do still read the occaisional paper book, but not that often anymore.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 220
SNeese replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 8:34 PM

The only time I use an ereader is when I travel. Other than that, it is paper all the way.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 10:21 PM

theres still no feeling like turning the crisp page of a printed book that you really like that an electronic device can replace. But i see what they are saying about the difference in preference what people actually use. Lets see carry(lets use a small number) 3 good books that ive been wanting to take on my trip which makes my backpack heavier and takes ups more space or take 2lb kindle or other smaller tablet and have those 3 books plus a 1000 others to chose from with more space and less weight.... clearly the choice becomes easier and easier.

Not Ranked
Posts 82
Points 635

I fall asleep fast reading either one ;)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 4:24 PM

My tastes have slowly been changing with use, while I used to loath e-readers, I personally love the convenience of having a book in electronic format on my smartphone. As I get busier I'm also moving towards audio books, even though they used to drive me up the wall. Funny how things can change.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 5:40 PM

RandyMorningstar:

I think this has to do with a generation gap more than anything. Older generations are less tech savvy and are less likely to use a e-reader. But the older generation is also probably the largest consumer of books.

You hit the nail on the head IMO. Difference also is the space books take up. I got atleast 4-5 medium u-haul boxes out in the garage that I don't have the space to put anywhere. I don't like e-readers that much (I've never had a kindle so I can't completely judge them) but overall its alot more efficient if you are used to it.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I still prefer paper books and the fell of turning the page. I also love the smell of crisp books. I only use Kindle for short stories that are not in print form. Books also have tangible value while e books are like book club editions which are worthless to collectors.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS