Verizon To Join The Ubuntu Phone Fray As Member of Canonical CAG

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 14 2013 2:22 PM
It's tough to say at this point whether or not this move is more than just a PR stunt, but Verizon Wireless is the latest member to join the Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group. Considering that VZW is America's largest mobile operator, that's a lot of notable weight being put behind an open source initiative. The carrier has professed that it will work closely with the group in order to "shape Ubuntu into the most compelling new, alternative platform for mobile.  Samir Vaidya from the Device Technology team at Verizon Wireless said: “Verizon Wireless is joining Ubuntu’s Carrier Advisory Group to participate in technology discussions around this new platform, which has the ability to bring new and exciting features to developers and ultimately, customers.”

The mobile world is shifting dramatically, and carriers are now looking towards up-and-coming operating systems to hopefully grab a stake in in order to generate additional revenue. One need look no further than the adoption of Firefox OS from various European carriers to see the trend moving this way. When will we see an Ubuntu-powered phone lighting up Verizon's network? It'll probably be a long time yet, but it's clear that the company is going to do all it can to make sure it happens.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 536
Points 4,485
ajm531 replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 12:36 AM

"The carrier has professed that it will work closely with the group in order to "shape Ubuntu into the most compelling new, alternative platform for mobile." Translation: "We cant to lock it down as tight as possible while labeling the crap out of it with verizon logos". Yeah its a PR stunt at best. I dont like verizon. Verizon is the most close minded carrier ever. This completely opposite of what they believe i mean locked bootloaders, forced logos, and blocking google wallet to name a few.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
Haywood replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 4:09 AM

A teacher, or the prison, more and more ares are considering the legal use of cell phone signal jammer, it has been a necessity of our daily life, I have got one for my family. so if you want to get one, you can go and visit it for more details. share with you!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS