BlackBerry Z10 Price Bottoms Out at Best Buy, $49 on Verizon, Free for AT&T Subscribers

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,835
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 14 2013 9:57 AM
BlackBerry's Z10 handset came out of the gate strong, notching quick sales, including a single order of 1 million devices from an "established partner." The Z10 was also included in what BlackBerry deemed its largest ever corporate order of BlackBerry 10 (BB10) devices (Q10 handsets were also included in that order). With all that being the case, it's a little curious that the Z10 keeps going down in price.

At Best Buy, you can pick up a Z10 for as low as $50 with a new 2-year service agreement with Verizon Wireless. AT&T subscribers have it even better -- the device is free with a 2-year commitment. Off contract, the Z10 sells for $700.

BlackBerry Z10 at Best Buy

These are deeply discounted prices from when the Z10 launched around four months ago. At the time, the cost of entry was $200, which is pretty standard for a high-end handset with a 2-year service contract. Why the sudden and dramatic price drop?

Good question, and there's no official answer, only speculation. Now that the initial enthusiasm has worn off, perhaps sales of the Z10 have hit a brick wall, lest someone has a better idea of why it's free for AT&T subscribers. If that's the case, it's more bad news for BlackBerry, which is desperately trying to reclaim relevance in a field now dominated by Android and iOS.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

And in Canada they are still 149 because they aren't selling all that bad.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Sun, Jul 14 2013 3:12 PM

Simply put no one cares about BB! I live in Los Angeles a heavily populated place that adopts all kinds of new tech fast and in 4 months I have yet to see either of the BB devices carried by anyone. I said it before launch that they weren't going to do well that they had less than a year before the company would be split up but very few listened to me everyone was so optimistic. Blackberry is a burning ship that everyone's needs to abandon.

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 305

Won one of these, sold it for $400, glad I got rid of it when i did.

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 305

Double post, please disregard. 

Not Ranked
Posts 82
Points 635

Bye bye Black Berry! They just couldn't keep up with the competition.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 536
Points 4,485
ajm531 replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 12:24 AM

Wow sad to see but there is much of any other explanation than it isnt doing well. In fact very bad by the looks of it. Its no near time a for a refresh its been maybe 5 to 6 months at best(unless your the droid razr series lol) so lowering prices for a new model is out of the question. I hope they can stay in the game but it might be too late particularly in america for sure.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 3:13 AM

Ajm; actually it looks lik they do have new models in the works, the "high" end A10 and lower end Q5. They both look like desperate moves since the higher end A10 has a last gen CPU/gpu and 720 screen etc yet prices the same as phones with better hardware specs, and the Q5 is expensive for being a "budget" device.

Oh and apparently another round of layoffs and executive departures... This subs leak is growing and they're trying to plug it with silly putty.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS