Ubisoft CEO Says Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Won’t Be The Last Generation of Consoles

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,369
Points 1,192,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 13 2013 4:09 PM

Long before Microsoft announced its Xbox One and Sony, its PlayStation 4, many speculated as to whether or not this upcoming generation of consoles would be the last. That proposed fate had a lot to do with the fact that it's not as profitable a business as console vendors would like it to be, especially when the risks are enormous. But according to Ubisoft's CEO Yves Guillemot, the upcoming generation is most certainly not the last.

In an interview with Computer & Video Games, Mr. Guillemot reiterates the fact that this current console generation has lasted far too long - something I'm sure a lot of us can agree with. He does believe, however, that the next-gen consoles will deliver unparalleled experiences, not only because of their graphical capabilities, but their overall featureset.

Cloud Guys Plug

Guillemot also backs-up the Wii U a little bit, which is a bit refreshing given the overall hard time the industry as a whole has been giving it lately. He believes that while the launch was undoubtedly lackluster, the second screen and touch possibilities along with the games en route gives the console the potential to become one that offers "high quality games and at a reasonable price".

Regarding the next-next generation of consoles, Guillemot states that the "cloud" is only going to become bigger, and as companies like Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony always want to have control over their own platforms, it only seems logically accurate to believe that there will be another generation of consoles. He just hopes that the life cycle decreases to about 5 years.

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 115

yes i hope Nintendo make an powerful console for 9 gen!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:12 PM

I understand that its slowly seeming to less and less of a profitable business but the reality is that its still huge and will linger around for a while. If any type of gaming is at risk its pc gaming. Yes you still have a lot of pc gamers out there. But the average joe or family is going to buy there children a console not some super powered pc or even basic pc to play mario kart or COD(yeah i know to completely opposite franchises but both popular amongst young and older people). So i dont know where people got this idea but even i as a basic bystander could see gaming is still popular enough that consoles arent just going to end.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:14 PM

ill tell you what i look forward is what was demoed a while back and there was an article on a device that used the kinect to create a bigger POV around your tv and simulated some pretty sweet FX. Deeper immersion like that is what i look forward to.

Not Ranked
Posts 82
Points 635

I've always been a PC gamer until...I got married and had a family. I still PC game myself but the real money is spend on our Xbox and all the family games, etc. Not to mention having to pay 50$ a year for XBL. I just cant see how consoles would disappear.

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 305

Where there is a will there is a way, Whether it be independant (Ouya) or first party (Sony/Mircosoft)innovation will go where money thrives.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

Next-Gen Consoles want Tecnology to be adapted everywhere, anytime, anyplace, for anyone.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS