Windows 8.1 Shipping to Manufacturers in August

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,865
Points 1,172,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 8 2013 3:06 PM
Microsoft released a long-awaited preview of Windows 8.1, the first revamp of the Windows 8 operating system, just a couple of weeks ago, and now Microsoft said that PC manufacturers will get the full version in August.

We looked over the preview build rather thoroughly and found that Windows 8.1 was indeed a major improvement over the intriguing though often baffling or frustrating original version. There are a number of improvements, including a new Start Screen, new boot options, quicker shut down and restart, better SkyDrive integration, an improved PC Settings screen, and more.

Windows 8.1 Start Screen

Although the enhancements are nice and will likely please Windows 8 users, if you’re fundamentally not a fan of the OS, Windows 8.1 probably isn’t going to convert you.

Microsoft is hoping that Windows 8.1 will function as a passive mea culpa and encourage more people to spend some money on Windows 8 devices. It remains to be seen if that will happen, but with the update in hand soon, PC makers will be able to crank out Windows 8.1 devices in time for the holidays.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I am using 8.1 now and my biggest gripe is that there are still no device settings for my trackpad! It uses only the ms pos driver which doesn't allow me to disable pinch and all that garbage, making it very frustrating at times to use.

It's the asus bt kb for the vivotab and it works great, mostly, except for that ***.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 8:55 PM

Windows 8 was created for 1 reason....to make money from the Windows 8 Store.

M$ was so green with envy at the other players making all that money in their stores

A distant 2nd reason for W8 is the touch ability for enabled devices.

The 18 Golden Partners don't offer a Windows 7 option so Windows 8 market share can only go up because there no choice when buying a new notebook or desktop.

Unless you build your own custom desktop or purchase a barebones notebook your stuck with W8 whether you want it or not.

It's always about the money,not the customer.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 225
JimmyB replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 9:56 PM

I haven't played much with Win 8 yet but I think MS needed it to compete, plain and simple. And yeah, the MS Store is a response as well, to a proven model that Apple, Google and others are profiting heavily from.

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 200

windows 8 is great, and the version of windows 8.1 that u have now it is a beta its not the full version

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS