Blizzard Considering In-Game Transactions In World of Warcraft

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,660
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 5 2013 11:52 AM
Perhaps in an attempt to reinvigorate its slowly dwindling World of Warcraft user base, Activision Blizzard is considering adding in-game purchases to the online game. In a post on the Battle.net forums, Zarhym (aka Jonathan Brown, WoW Senior Community Rep) said: “We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.”

The comment pertained to the discovery of an in-game spell called the Enduring Elixir of Wisdom that would give the user a 100% increase in “experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests” that appeared in the game’s Public Test Realm.

WoW may add in-game purchases
Credit: Us.battle.net

One commenter in the forums noted that games in which you can pay real money to do better are usually free-to-play games, which jibes with what Activision Blizzard CEO Robert A. Kotick said in May when discussing WoW’s loss of subscriber numbers and the new reality of online games back in May. “It's important to note that the nature of online games has changed, and with the environment becoming far more competitive, especially with free-to-play games,” he said.

Activision Blizzard is smart to try anything to bring additional profitability to the game, keep its current players coming back for more, or attract new players, but bringing in-game purchases may be a dicey way to do so.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 520

Which would only dig their hole even deeper.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator

I tend to agree. WoW is an "easy" MMO to begin with, so to introduce an elixir that increases the XP rate by 100% is just... ridiculous. A lot of gamers are expecting that Blizzard won't actually introduce that particular item, but other items seem certain.

http://ptr.wowdb.com/spells/146939-enduring-elixir-of-wisdom#related:comments

The idea of a store inside of a P2P game kind of bothers me, but then I clue into the fact that a LOT of people spend more than a sub's worth of cash per month on their F2P game. It's a brilliant move to make people spend more. It of course all depends on what's sold in there though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 795

See Also : Diablo III

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600

Wonder if this is going to be the first step to WoW moving to a F2P model sometime in the future? Part of what was said is right, there seems to be a lot more F2P games out there, and they are finally starting to take players away from WoW.(might be here-say, just commenting based on what I've read) I for one have not played a sub based game in quite some time now.

As an example, I recently returned to Rift, solely because it went F2P. I don't have a problem spending the money when I have it and like the game. It's just the idea of, if I can't make the sub that month, I don't get to play the game at all. Kind of turns me away from the sub based games.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS