AMD Drops Windows XP Support with Latest Graphics Driver Update

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,075
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 30 2013 12:10 PM
AMD has a new beta graphics driver available--the AMD Catalyst 13.6 Beta2 Driver--which features the typical sort of feature list that you’d expect from a driver release, with a notable exception: there’s no support for Windows XP.

In the “system requirements” area, AMD lists Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit versions), Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit versions with SP1 or higher), and Windows Vista (32 & 64-bit versions with SP2 or higher).

Windowx XP, no longer supported in 2014, no longer supported by AMD graphics

That’s not surprising. Windows XP is a venerable operating system, to be sure, but it’s long overdue for mothballs. Microsoft will stop supporting the OS in April, and the company has been pushing for businesses, who are otherwise content to continue using the aged Windows XP, to upgrade to a newer version.

Other features of the AMD Catalyst 13.6 beta driver release include increased performance in PCMark benchmarks with AMD’s APUs; fixing an HDMI audio dropout problem; enhancements to AMD Enduro technology; AMD Wireless Display support (Windows 8); and more.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 7:53 PM

I think that XP has had an excellent run. Small and medium businesses that still use it, probably do so because it's familiar and it works for them. They already own it, so why fix a non-problem?

XP will be remembered fondly.

It's gonna be the same for Windows 7 too. People will continue to cleave to what works, and no amount of pressure from Microsoft will force them to quit such a superb OS for a new, dodgy Windows 8.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 10:16 PM

A friend of mine asked me to re-install XP on his PC. The hardware is circa early 2000's with an Athlon 1000 and 512MB PC133 RAM. I hooked-him-up with XP Home Edition on this same PC two years ago and he now has a horrible malware problem. I installed XP w/service pack 2 slip-streamed. Windows Update wouldn't allow me to update because *there was a problem*. The installation was legit and was activated! I then reformatted the hard drive and installed XP Home SP-1 from the original disk. Same result - I can't use Windows Update. From what I have read concerning this problem on the internet I will need to install SP-3 before I can install Windows Updates. The problem is that every time I use Explorer to download it closes because *Explorer has encountered an error*. What a nightmare (I ran MemTest86 for 10 hours w/NO errors). The article says that Microsoft will stop supporting XP in April, but as far as I am concerned that support has already ended. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 805

Well, I have one computer , a netbook that still runs XP, never use it.

Sad day for those that still do.

(I've owned over 20 computers that ran XP, and have no regrets)

I feel XP has lived it's life, it was an awesome operating system.

But, in my opinion, Windows 7 (Which I believe is just a jacked up version of Vista) is superior. Hopefully Windows 8.1 is what everyone is looking for.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Rip xp

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Hopefully Windows 7 will have a price drop.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Microsoft is pissing me off more and more by day.

XP was a great OS way back when, and still proves worthy of general use in small and medium businesses today, despite its age.

I guess that its time to move on though. Hopefully Windows 7 will eventually receive a service pack fixing some of its small issues, but in light of the whole "Direct X 11.2 only on Windows 8" shenanigans, I fear that will not be the case.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,919
Points 24,680
digitaldd replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 10:00 AM

Super Dave:

A friend of mine asked me to re-install XP on his PC. The hardware is circa early 2000's with an Athlon 1000 and 512MB PC133 RAM. I hooked-him-up with XP Home Edition on this same PC two years ago and he now has a horrible malware problem. I installed XP w/service pack 2 slip-streamed. Windows Update wouldn't allow me to update because *there was a problem*. The installation was legit and was activated! I then reformatted the hard drive and installed XP Home SP-1 from the original disk. Same result - I can't use Windows Update. From what I have read concerning this problem on the internet I will need to install SP-3 before I can install Windows Updates. The problem is that every time I use Explorer to download it closes because *Explorer has encountered an error*. What a nightmare (I ran MemTest86 for 10 hours w/NO errors). The article says that Microsoft will stop supporting XP in April, but as far as I am concerned that support has already ended. 

Have you tried downloading the network install to a USB stick  and doing the XP sp3 update from that? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24 I ran into similar issues with XP in the past, one was fixed by installing IE8 prior to trying windows/microsoft updates. Personally i find Windows update doesn't work too often but Microsoft Update does.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator

Thanks for that, digitaldd. I got SP3 installed as you suggested and I'm now getting those updates. I don't know what Microsoft's reasoning is for changing to this method, but it sure makes it a lot tougher to re-install XP. I love Windows 7 and would much prefer to install that instead of XP, but in the case of having older hardware you just don't have that option. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65

At some points this makes me sad as a lot of people still use and prefer this old fellow, but on the other hand who would really get windows XP on a computer use one of the GPU's from the current line up?. All the machines running XP is running older hardware witch by this point should be extremely stable with some of the drivers out there. So all in all I don't really see a problem. But its sad to see an old friend die.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,919
Points 24,680
digitaldd replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 10:32 AM

XP is set to reach EOL (end of life) status in April 2014, meaning you won't be able to get updates at all for it after that date.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS