Sony Pummels Microsoft Again: More Exclusives Coming To PS4 Than Xbox One

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jun 25 2013 11:41 AM
Ever since Microsoft announced the Xbox One, the company has been dealing with a good bit of blowback for some of the features of the new console, including the requirement for an online “check in” every 24 hours; a required, always-on Kinect (that costs an extra $100 to boot); and the inability to sell used games, among some other PR black eyes. It didn’t help when Sony released a funny video mocking the Xbox One’s sharing capabilities.

Microsoft has backed down on most of those, but in the meantime it was easy to forget that the Xbox One was going to enjoy 15 exclusive titles that included 8 new game franchises. That’s a win, right?

PS4

It would be, were it not for the fact that Sony has more. In an interview with gamereactorTV, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO Jim Ryan said that Sony has 30 exclusive titles in development for the PS4--twice that of Microsoft. Twenty of them will launch in the console’s first year, and a dozen are new franchises.

“I’m sure you heard from Shu [Yoshida, President of Sony Worldwide Studios] that his studio, he has 30 games in development,” said Ryan. “Twenty are going to ship in the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP.”

Xbox One

You can’t say that Microsoft hasn’t done it to themselves. The Xbox One’s launch event was impressive, but there’s been so much in the way of bad publicity for the new console that many of the most attractive features are overlooked. Now, one of those has also been one-upped.
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 1:25 PM

"Pummels"...

shill [shil]

noun:

1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.

2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

verb (used without object):

3. to work as a shill: He shills for Sony.

verb (used with object):

4. to advertise or promote (a product) as or in the manner of a huckster; hustle: He was hired to shill a new game console.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 2:08 PM

Sooo...you're accusing us of being paid by Sony to promote the PS4?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

How is stating the truth shilling? It's very easy, 15 vs 30, 30 is a bigger number, 8 vs 12, 12 is a bigger number = Sony is pummeling MS in this.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
skorpien replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 3:20 PM

Ooh! How impressive! You know how to look up definitions! Please, can you tell me the definitions of arrogant, self-righteous and fanboy?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 3:29 PM

I'm not "accusing" you of anything. I'm saying very plainly that your coverage of this generation of consoles (in general) has been anything but objective. Whether that has been because of friendship, loyalty, self-interest, or personal profit, I couldn't say... but it has been obviously biased.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 3:35 PM

Personal attack? Okay.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 4:04 PM

That's the "I'm not sayin', I"m just sayin'" approach, which is in fact an accusation, albeit a passive aggressive one. And a very serious accusation at that. You (and anyone else) should be very careful about making such severe statements. Particularly as there's no truth to it.

Whether or not you *like* what we're saying is immaterial. The fact is that Microsoft has repeatedly blundered through this launch, drawn the ire of consumers, and given Sony an easy target at which to take potshots. Which is really too bad, because the Xbox One has some cool features that have taken a back seat to more pressing issues about the problems we've discussed in our coverage.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 75
Layhyungs replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 4:14 PM

To be honest, I think Sony had the same idea from Microsoft about the internet stuff ,but because of the reaction they seen toward Microsoft, Sony decided to change to a no internet restriction. So people might say Microsoft is the bad guys but Sony might just took advantage of them. Maybe they just didn't had guts to try it so they waited to see how people will react with Microsoft first before taking a decision.

I'm just saying.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 4,720
RiCoFrost replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 6:36 PM

Xbox has been the top selling console for over 24 months.... so those "Exclusives" are not very smart moving to ps4 when xbox has been the clear winner for the last 24 months.

I have to say I'm also finding hothardware to be very PS3 sided...

Does anyone really trust Sony anymore... I mean after then number of hacks, down networks and stolen credit cards...

I had my ps3 die 2 times, after the 2nd time I had enough for it.

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 360
Chondro replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 7:31 PM

I went with the xbox 360.....so the best one to get will be the ps4.

well that's what happened the last 3 generations anyway.

and johnny is too scared to say you're like US government and the ps4 is like big tabbaco :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 9:41 PM

I don't trust either company. They're both arrogant and ~both~ of them would like to have total control over their platforms and all used games.

If the public didn't control the purse-strings with our right to choose, they would be out of control. Both have their faults.

I think that Seth is calling it how he sees it. Nothing wrong with that.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Tatoosh replied on Tue, Jun 25 2013 11:11 PM

I sold my PS3 and was figuring on moving to the Xbox soon. Now I am rethinking that and may go to the PS4 instead. So it goes Micro$oft. :/

Not Ranked
Posts 55
Points 525
BurntChz replied on Wed, Jun 26 2013 10:31 AM

I do agree with Jonny that ‘pummel’ seems a bit of an overstatement. “…Jim Ryan said that Sony has 30 exclusive titles in development”, the key words here being “in development” then going on to say “Twenty are going to ship in the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP.” So if we’re comparing apples to apples, MS is saying they have 15 exclusives and 8 new franchises in the first year and Sony has 20 and 12 respectively. Yes, MS is still behind here, but not as far as Sony would like us to think. MS hasn’t mentioned any number for “in development”, which either company could say nearly any number if they like. “In development” doesn’t guaranty a game is ever going to see the light of day, and it takes years of development for quality titles. I think Sony has been smart about standing on the sidelines and watching MS take the heat for DRM and other negatives so they can be seen more favorable. In case you missed it, Sony did a backpedal of their own regarding the DRM issue (http://hothardware.com/News/Its-Too-Early-to-Declare-Sony-the-Savior-of-Used-Games-and-Heres-Why/).

In the end it’s really about quality not quantity, so these numbers are really arbitrary until we get to play the games. The term ‘exclusive’ doesn’t really hold the weight that it once did either, since many of the so call exclusives are really 'time' exclusive. In the current generation of consoles, each one has 2 or 3 quality exclusives that would make me want one over the other, but the reality of it is this; most of the quality games are cross platform and will continue to be. Instead of worrying about who got what exclusive, I believe the deciding factor should be about the different ecosystems and features of the consoles. I’m still undecided at this point, but one of the more interesting things I’ve heard so far is MS upgrading to 300,000 servers for their Xbox One network. As RiCoFrost mentioned earlier, Sony’s network has been anything but smooth. If Sony really wants to earn hearts and minds they need to do a better job with their online network and features.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 30

I sold my Xbox 360 and put everything towards the PS4, I primarily play on PC but PS4 definitely seems like a console not to miss out on this generation.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 9:41 PM

Mac user.......

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 9:51 PM

Anyone else here play GameDev?

no?

OK well, the platfrom you use is less important than what fan base your platform uses. For Example making pokemon games on an XBOX might not sell because small children*** play it, yet on game boy which say has half as many users it can be very successful because it fits that crowd.

Using sweeping declarations like it was stupid for game titles to be exclusive to Sony is very ignorant.

They Receive funds from Sony, They have a better GPU than the Xbox One as well as a cheaper product. If the niche looking to play their game wants better graphics for less money they are VERY likely to buy the console that has an exclusive agreement with Sony and wouldn't you know it the Sony System is Cheaper and more powerful with user Friend;y features like game sharing........

Plus the fee Sony pays them to develop that title exclusively for PlayStation

Subtract the dual console extra programming, stress testing and support,

factor in that Sony will according to popular opinion be wildly more successful with their product than Microsoft's

and it sounds like a pretty damn smart decision to develop exclusively for PS4,

.... Just Saying.

*** I am one of these Small Children.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

The Xbox One really confuses me. For the last few months I've been trying to figure out what it was they were trying to do exactly, and so far I still have no clue.

The unveiling was a mess simply because they didn't focus on games (well there was COD and Forza). And while I think it was a good idea to link it with the cable box, it wasn't really their focus either. And then there was the Always online and used game debacle. That idea is interesting too, but why the Hell did a multi-billion dollar company not think it through? They acknowledged that they were expecting this kind of feedback (multiple times) , yet now they have reversed policy and took some features away with it? I understand that with disc based games you can't do family share, but what about downloaded titles? It would ease people into the idea.

I don't hate the Xbox One like a bunch of other people simply because I have this feeling they were trying to do something new (I like it when companies try new things). Does anyone here have any ideas or know what they were doing?

Why are you reading this when you should be KNEELING?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Personally, I'm sticking with the PC. They don't charge me money per month for just using internet. And upgrading the Power supply and GPU will in some cases cost less than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I know what I am going to say is quite irrelevant to conversation here, but I am going to say it anyway. I think none of the consoles have any chance of beating the PC as a gaming platform in near decades to come. Its versatility is just not possible to match up as a console.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 140
KDaniels replied on Thu, Jul 4 2013 10:30 AM

@ BodhisatwaRay - I, like you am a PC lover. I agree with you on your point of versatility, however people are not going to spend bucket loads of cash to build a gaming rig - if gaming is all they want to do. I do not own a console, nor wish to. It just makes sense for people to buy a console and never have to worry about whether their system meets the requirements of the game.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS