Google and Waze Reach $1.3 Billion Dollar Deal For Crowd-Sourced Traffic and Navigation Technology

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,836
Points 1,169,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 10 2013 2:41 PM

If you were the market's leader in maps, what would you do? If you'd seek out one of the hottest GPS mobile apps, then your train of thought would align to Google's. A deal has been rumored for the past week, but it seems certain today: Google has acquired Waze for a cool $1.1 billion, beating out Facebook to the acquisition.

Waze is a GPS app first and foremost, but it goes beyond the others by crowdsourcing information to make the information it spits back a lot more useful. With it, you can automatically contribute traffic data to the pool, and manually report accidents and other hazards. You'll of course receive that information as well if another user reports it. It's clear, then, why Google would love to own this and likely implement its features into Google Maps, an already well-respected mobile solution (even for use as a GPS).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 179
Points 1,685
lipe123 replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 3:08 PM

All I can say is I'm glad facebook didn't get it!

Maybe the search function for gas stations would start working better now.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 8:04 AM

Lets see Waze can't find anything but gets you around traffic problems, Google Maps finds stuff well but ain't worth anything when trying to route you around traffic I'd say its a perfect marriage.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS