Sharp Laying Off 5,000 While Shifting Focus To Smaller Screens

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,935
Points 1,118,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 11 2013 8:55 AM
These aren't easy times for Sharp. The company has been reeling for years now, and this isn't the first occasion where we've heard that Sharp may need to take drastic measures just to remain afloat. The latest report suggests that around 5,000 Sharp employees will soon be heading for the exits, with directors and advisory roles being hit the hardest. Also, it'll shift production to a three-year plan to hopefully recover in time.

Most of Sharp's job losses will mount overseas. With around 51,000 employees, 5,000 isn't a huge percentage, but it'll still be felt. The main office in Osaka will see around half of its staff cut, with directors cut from 12 to 6. Product-wise, the company plans to "focus more on small-sized panels for smartphones and other devices, which have more added value."

Sharp is hoping to get back into gear by 2015, but it won't be easy nor enjoyable.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 493
Points 4,555

Damn, I hope they pull through. I know all the TV companies are hurting right now, but these guys make my fav TVs. All of mine are Sharp, including a 60" in the TV.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H
Yes it's the original InfinityzeN

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

I agree. Sharp just doesn't seem to have the exposure in the TV market like they used to, but then again most companies are very stingy with their marketing these days. When was the last time you saw new TV models actually advertised in commercials? Quite a while I'd say. But that all chalks up to the razor thin profit margins on TVs these days, combined with the world economy still being quite depressed.

My heart goes out to all the staffers at Sharp that got cut. I hope they'll all land on their feet.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS