Microsoft’s Windows 8 Ads Go From Obnoxious to Down-Right Weird

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,749
Points 1,210,305
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 9 2013 1:34 PM
This is just getting awkward, leaving me more convinced than ever that Microsoft needs to tap into its riches to hire some creative folk who's collective task, and only task, is to come up with commercials that don't suck. Remember when Apple blitzed the TV screen with its Mac vs PC ads? Those were funny, even if largely misleading. Microsoft's answer? Hire Jerry Seinfeld and have him shop for shoes. Seriously.

More recently, Microsoft's attempted to sell the world on its Surface RT and Pro tablets/notebooks/hybrids with a series of ads that failed to inform the public what these devices really are, choosing instead to focus on that wonderful CLICK sound when you slap a cover to the devices. But the worse sin of all? Putting out ads like this:

Are you as confused as we are? If not, feel free to explain in the comments section how the above ad showing a guy fingering a watermelon and another slicing it open to find a dead creature inside isn't awkward. Bonus points if you can convince us this ad somehow works in Windows 8's favor, as it's intended to.

Believe it or not, it gets even more weird. How so? Well, this next ad shows a guy playing a piano while hitting a ping pong ball...with a paddle wedged up his rear end. Um, okay?

If you can't get enough of these quirky ads, you're in luck, Here's one more:

According to The Verge, these ads were intended for the Asian market and accidentally posted to Microsoft's general channel. In Microsoft's defense, Apple has put out some duds, too.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 310
Points 2,700
JDiaz replied on Thu, May 9 2013 2:38 PM

Well, foreign commercials can appear weird to US viewers but they're not hard to understand... all three were intentionally meant to be funny and emphasize a basic concept they were trying to promote... namely the power of touch and how that can lead to creativity, multi-tasking, and a simply faster way of getting things done!

Btw, that wasn't a dead animal inside the watermelon in the first ad, he just sculpted it like an ice sculpture and had all the extra bits just break away... Kinda like the instant make over done in the third ad...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,040

Spot on JDiaz.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator

I enjoyed all of them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50

Weird my foot! I was immediately seized by an urge to go out and buy a - what was it again? oh yeah, a Window 8 touch something or other. No, wait! I was mistaken. It was a watermelon I wanted to buy.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I watched all three of them, and at the end of this madness, I asked myself one question:

"What did I just watch...?"

There is no possible way for anyone to tell it's a windows 8 commerical, but I guess that all of the commercials I can remember were all funky in some way, and that leads me to remember what they were for. So, I guess it works!

Good move microsoft... (I think..?)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Not intended for our market, so they can do what they like

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

I've seen my share of odd advertisements from various countries over the years, and honestly these aren't really out of the ordinary. These at least made some sense, while other ones I have seen really left me out of the loop about what product was actually being sold.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS