Microsoft Knocks Adobe For Discontinuing Packaged Software

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,505
Points 1,197,005
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 8 2013 1:42 PM
When it comes to distributing software, Microsoft and Adobe are certainly on the same page insofar as they both believe that software-as-a-service is the future; it’s only a matter of time before boxed software is a thing of the past.

However, the two companies apparently differ sharply on the timing of the move. Earlier this week, Adobe announced that it would discontinue its Creative Suite and other CS products, so going forward any new customers will have to rely on the Creative Cloud, which requires a subscription-style membership as opposed to the purchase of a physical software box.

Microsoft believes that Adobe pulled the trigger way too early. “Unlike Adobe, we think people's shift from packaged software to subscription services will take time. Within a decade, we think everyone will choose to subscribe because the benefits are undeniable”, reads a blog post from Microsoft’s Clint Patterson. “In the meantime, we are committed to offering choice--premier software sold as a package and powerful services sold as a subscription.”

Office 365

It’s a bit surprising that Microsoft would weigh in on Adobe’s plans--and take the perspective it has--for several reasons. First, why does Microsoft care what Adobe does with its Creative suite? Further, Adobe says that its cloud service has been a runaway success, and while Microsoft has found that more than a quarter of Microsoft Office purchasers are opting for the SaaS version of the software (Office 365), clearly the market isn’t quite ready for a subscription-only version of Office. However, that doesn’t mean that the market isn’t ready for a subscription-only version of Adobe’s offerings.

Finally, it’s laughable that Microsoft says that SaaS is a ways off, because the company is working hard to make the locally-installed software version of Office a less attractive product that Office 365--most notably by forcing an Office license to be tied to one PC forever.

Maybe Microsoft should just stay out of it and let Adobe fail or succeed on its own while spending more time worrying about its own products.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This article is inaccurate. Microsoft changed the Eula again at the beginning of March due to consumer/business demand.

http://blogs.office.com/b/office-news/archive/2013/03/06/office-2013-retail-license-agreement-now-transferable.aspx

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I own CS 5. If I choose to move the software suite to a new machine all I have to do is deactivate it, then install and activate it on the new machine. I can do this easily from the help menu. Adobe products are as near perfect as any software can get They give you what you pay for. I am considering moving to the Cloud on the next upgrade cycle because I trust Adobe.

Microsoft, on the other hand, resorts to thuggery and intimidation in order to force customers in a direction. Changing the EULA for the express purpose of making Office unattractive is being hostile to their customers. They are basically saying if you don't move to SaaS we will make it hard on you.

Ninety percent of the people using Office could use Open Office as a substitute and hardly know any difference. The value you get from Microsoft is not worth the money in comparison. There are no viable substitutes for Adobe products. Most of us who use Adobe are willing pay premium for software then brag about it.

Microsoft should watch out, people have more choices these days.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Business will likely never adopt the cloud solution.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS