AMD Announces New, Enthusiast-Oriented Radeon 2133 RAM

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,225
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 8 2013 12:44 AM
AMD has been marketing its own brand of memory for several months, and selling its own Ramdisk software as a performance-boosting option to customers to boot. That program has apparently been at least modestly successful, as the company is stepping up the campaign with a new type of Radeon memory and a new enthusiast class of product.

The new Radeon RG2133 RAM is designed for low-latency operation (AMD claims a CAS latency as low as seven via overclocking profiles) and runs at 2133MHz at 1.65v. AMD's RamDisk software also gets a performance boost (if you deploy it), since using higher-speed memory also boosts RAM performance. It's notable, however, that the 4x4GB kit that AMD is selling at DDR3-2133 only allows for a maximum of 16GB of RAM unless you've got an X79 motherboard. If you wanted to play with a Ramdisk, you'd be better off opting for the slower RAM configurations, which offer 2x 8GB configurations.

The performance gains from nearly doubling the RAMDisk speed are fairly modest in any case.

AMD is positioning its memory as a win for both Intel and AMD's own CPUs, but there's some question here. Intel's own spec sheets have stated that 1.5v is preferred since the launch of Core i7. It's not that 1.65v is a guaranteed problem spec, but there are DDR3-2133 alternatives from companies like Mushkin and Corsair that run at 1.5v rather than 1.65v. Given that Intel explicitly recommends lower voltage memory, AMD's 1.65v spec could push some buyers away.

Right now, NewEgg is showing 16GB of AMD Radeon memory for $155. That's about midrange for the category, and the specified latency (10-11-11-30) is competitive with the products from other manufacturers. For those of you who've deployed Ramdisks, have you kept using the Radeon solution? To date, AMD's CEO, Rory Read, has said little about the success or failure of the Radeon memory initiative, implying that the impact on the company's balance sheet has been minimal to date.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, May 8 2013 1:20 PM

Looks good for some enthusiast ram at a pretty good value. $150 bucks for a 16GB kit that can go up to 2133 isn't bad at all.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

I could see buying it for my FX-8350 system.

I have used RAM DISK software before, but I do not any more.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Its okay I guess, but I don't like the big red print on top... It's kinda show-offy and sticks out too much for me, otherwise good value

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Why neil? Personally I love it for my browser.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,705
Points 104,490
MembershipAdministrator

MayhemMatthew:
Why neil? Personally I love it for my browser.

I just lost interest in doing it. My system runs fine without it.  I'm much more interested in SSD speeds and better GPUs to bolster performance.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS