Bethesda Announces New, Alternate-History Wolfenstein title For Holidays 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 1:31 PM
Bethesda Softworks is prepping a new title in the Wolfenstein series that pits the franchise's hero, B.J. Blazkowicz, against an alternate-history version of the post World War II era in which the ***, not the Allies, were ultimately victorious. BJ, apparently on ice for more than a decade, awakens in this nightmare version of the future -- a nightmare that the trailer refers to as a "rewriting", implying that BJ, at least, is aware of what's happened.

Some losses... are unthinkable

Wolfenstein always delved heavily into the Nazi fascination with the occult; the last games in the series relied upon it as a primary driver of their plot lines. Having killed Hitler in the third episode and dealt with virtually every high-ranking German thereafter, rewriting the entire war is virtually the only way to resurrect enough of the German High Command to win victory over a troop of determined Girl Scouts, much less the United States military.

The game is in development for Xbox 360, PS3, PC, and next-generation consoles, which means it'll give us an interesting opportunity to cross-examine the capabilities of the new boxes from Microsoft and Sony against AMD's GCN on the desktop. Hopefully Bethesda will balance the classic gameplay of "Grab guns, kill ***, eat plates of food for health" with some more modern innovations without tipping the balance too far in either direction. The previous Wolfenstein games have been a bit of a mixed bag in that regard. Return To Castle Wolfenstein (2001) and Wolfenstein (2009) weren't bad games, but neither ignited the sales charts.

Bonus points if the game moves outside of Europe for its battles. The teaser trailer shows the skyline of New York in flames, which implies that the *** did more than achieve a Cold War style peace with themselves playing the part of the Soviet Union. This could open the door to some interesting destinations for game play far outside the normal turf of WW II-era Western Europe. Battling through the ruins of New York against Nazi robots? Sounds like a winning ticket to us. The current unveils only speak to a Western Europe front, but we're still hoping for more back story.

They're re-writing history -- but they forgot about me.

“We are excited to bring a new chapter of Wolfenstein to gamers everywhere,” said Jens Matthies, creative director at MachineGames. “As fans of the series, working on this game is an honor, and our team is driven to create an unforgettable action-adventure experience that will make FPS fans proud.” More details and possible gameplay footage are set to be released later this week. This will be the second outing for the id Tech 5 engine, which debuted with Rage in 2011, but hasn't won many projects thereafter.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,695
Points 104,425
MembershipAdministrator

Thanks for the post Joel.

I'm in for this. I've always enjoyed the Wolfenstein series.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:12 PM

Teaser looks pretty good. I just hope it doesn't look like every other Bethesda game. Not that aren't good but I don't want Wolfenstein looking like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I've personally always been a fan of the wolfenstein series. I saw my uncle playing a wolfenstein game on his computer, but I could'nt really ever expect to run it on mine because it was ( and still is ) pretty low end. Maybe I could try and find some older copies with less intense graphics that I could handle, that would a be a treat. I'm wondering how good this game will look on the next-gen consoles... Beautiful hopefully. But, I guess the PC version will always prevail in that aspect :) (And with good reason)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 65

Sw33t, somehow never heard anything about this till now. Used to play Wolfenstein in elementary school computer lab. Hehe.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

hype hype. I have enjoyed the series a lot.

I am worried about bethesda, they don't really make straight fps games.

Not Ranked
Posts 59
Points 415

I've always been a fan of the Wolfenstein series, from way back to the original Escape from Castle Wolfenstein (now who here remembers that gem?). Looking forward to this iteration.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS