Western Digital and SanDisk Put Their Heads Together, Come Up With Ultra-Thin 2.5-inch WD Black SSHD

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,349
Points 1,191,460
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 1:00 PM
Western Digital and SanDisk are teaming up to produce a 2.5-inch SSHD that essentially puts a SanDisk iSSD with a WD Black SSHD. Perhaps its obvious that two companies could bring their respective expertise to the same table to develop a single product with the best of both, but this sort of thing doesn’t happen every day.

WD obviously brings its wealth of experience in the storage market as well as its SSHD and SATA IO technology, and SanDisks’ contribution is designed to deliver lower power consumption, reduced cost, better reliability, and it should also facilitate a smaller form factor.

WD Black SSHD

Indeed, the WD Black SSHD is a scant 5mm thick, and it offers 500GB of storage for the industry’s increasingly thin notebooks. The device is now shipping to OEMs; WD is also shipping 7mm and 9.5mm SSHDs that are destined for mobile devices.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 1:25 PM

wow this would end the need for sd cards almost completely. If i had a phone with half that storage well i would be set for life. I can only hope this coming together of companies like this becomes a continuing trend to make even better advancements.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

Reminds me of the Seagate drives. I'd love to see reviews on this drive.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Tue, May 7 2013 8:27 PM

No mention of speed anywhere?

If it's 5400rpm the performance will s*ck.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I'm glad to see the start of consumer Slim SSHD's. Its a good sign for storage. Perhaps maybe one day we can manage to find a better way of storing data that surpasses even SSD's... I can't wait for that day to come!

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 405

With the constant reports of patent lawsuits and dirty business practices, it's refreshing to read a story about two companies coming together to play to each of their strengths. Competition may be the backbone of capitalism, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for cooperation, too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

SDonaldson:

With the constant reports of patent lawsuits and dirty business practices, it's refreshing to read a story about two companies coming together to play to each of their strengths. Competition may be the backbone of capitalism, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for cooperation, too.

Definitely agree :)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Go watch the smallest movie ever made. Ibm said they can store a bit within twelve atoms or something. It is slow now, but it is on the horizon.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS