Are Social Networks Making You A Little Crazy?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,907
Points 1,117,695
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, May 5 2013 1:15 PM

Do I look a little crazy to you? If I do, it's probably Facebook to thank, since I, and apparently many others, have "Internet addiction". Well, truth be told, I don't have an addiction to the extent that some do, as Dr. Uri Nitzan exposed in a paper published to the Israel Journal of Psychiatry and Related Sciences this past fall. Some can become so addicted, that they become dependant on it, and can even head toward psychosis.

In his study, Nitzan evaluated three people who became addicted to social networks - Facebook, namely - with all three recovering in the end thanks to proper treatment and care. Across his patients, Nitzan found three common links; these people felt lonely or vulnerable (sometimes due to the loss of a loved one), had relative inexperience with technology and finally, didn't have a history of psychosis or substance abuse.

When someone visits a social networking site like Facebook and happen to be lonely, this study shows that they can become very attached very quickly - not just to the service itself, but specific people. In some cases, they can develop relationships and attachments with people they've never met in person, and when anything in that online relationship goes awry, it can take a toll on their well-being.

Worse still, sometimes these relationships can lead to an exposing of private information, which in turns makes these people feel exposed themselves - and feeling vulnerable is never a great thing.

While Dr. Nitzan's study revolved around social networks, these problems are hardly exclusive to it. Anything social can soak people in and not let them go. In an MMO I used to play, a clanmate almost had their kids taken away due to their addiction to the game. In this particular case, this person wasn't lonely (still married, and with kids), but the pull of an environment like this was too much.

Obviously, the best cure for an issue like this is to break away cold turkey. In my experience, there's never such thing as "slowing down". Even personally, I have found my productivity to lack at times due to my automatic re-checking of Facebook, Reddit and other sites each day. It got to a point where I even installed a browser plugin (StayFocusd) where I can enable a "nuclear" option that prevents me from being able to visit these sites until a certain amount of time has passed. It's silly that one would have to go to such lengths, but it is what it is.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go check my Facebook.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Wow, I don't know anybody that is addicted to social networking or the internet, but I know that it can certainly happen. It's being part of a community and having friends within that community that sucks a lot of people in, and I guess that can really take away from your life away from your computer.

Watch out everyone or you might just get addicted to HH :P

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,479
Points 53,920
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:48 PM

Kb100, that's the right idea. ;-)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,442
Points 102,210
MembershipAdministrator

I don't take Facebook seriously most of the time. I've found a few old friends, (or they found me) and that was alright. It's just a tool to me.

HH is another matter though.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator

Interestingly, one reason I hate going to Facebook is because of the number of tools on there ;-)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, May 5 2013 11:18 PM

RWilliams:

Interestingly, one reason I hate going to Facebook is because of the number of tools on there ;-)

That's the reason I both dislike Facebook and Twitter. Honestly i'm not to big on Google+ but I still think its better than the rest but that may be since its still small compared to both Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook has to many tools whining about stuff and Twitter to me is just to much chaos.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

The only reason that I use facebook is because everyone else does. I use it to contact my distant friends, and to talk to relatives that live around the world.

I like Twitter more, but I still dont like it. I use it mainly to follow Youtubers and stuff that I watch. I also follow certain things that tweet funny jokes every once in awhile, and thats about it.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, May 6 2013 12:08 PM

I use Facebook for friends and business, and then Twitter almost like an RSS feed, where I subscribe to everything I want and then just check back daily to see what's new. I try to keep Facebook "spam" like that to a minimum if I can.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, May 6 2013 1:36 PM

Yeah but it can be really hard sometimes especially for gun companies that I like to follow.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, May 7 2013 12:09 AM

You should be able to shoot right through them.

I'll show myself out.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS