Outlook.com Tops 400 Million Active Accounts Following Hotmail Upgrade

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,620
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 3 2013 9:20 AM
One way to boost your numbers is to migrate users of an older service over to a newer one. Such was the scenario with Outlook.com, Microsoft's new webmail service that was built to scale to over a billion active customers (with the occasional hiccup). Over the past six weeks, Microsoft has been busy porting Hotmail accounts over to Outlook.com, which required the relocation of 150 petabytes of data. That process is now complete, allowing Outlook.com to boast over 400 million active accounts.

"Today, we're excited to announce that we've completed upgrading all Hotmail customers to Outlook.com. Coupled with the growing organic excitement for Outlook.com, this has pushed us to over 400 million active Outlook.com accounts, including 125 million that are accessing email, calendar and contacts on a mobile device using Exchange ActiveSync," Microsoft stated in a blog post. "We're also pleased to announce that we're adding two new features to Outlook.com: SMTP send, so it's easier to send mail from different email addresses, and deeper integration with SkyDrive."

Outlook

Outlook.com was home to 60 million active accounts when it came out of preview in February. At the time, Hotmail was still going strong with 300 million active accounts, leading to what Microsoft deemed an "incredible" and "unprecedented" migration process.

If you're attached to your Hotmail address, you can still use it. Furthermore, Microsoft says you don't even have to change/update any settings on your phone or other apps. And if you're a Hotmail Plus subscriber, your account will continue to work on Outlook.com, Microsoft says.
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I never chose Outlook. It should technically be considered a downgrade.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I completely agree. I loved Hotmail and I absolutely hate Outlook - what a complete step down.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:24 AM

Pamela; why do you hate outlook? Have you used it? Have you even seen it? Or do you just not like the name?.... Because that's all that's different just the corner logo changed from hotmail to Outlook other than that everything is the same and there is no reason to hate it unless you just simply don't like the name...

This isn't the same outlook program that came bundled with windows 98, it's pretty much just a rebranded hotmail. My oldest email (going on 15 years) is hotmail but it's now the email I use when I sign up to a sites and don't want my main gmail getting any spam. I also opened an outlook.com account when it was released but gmail is still the best email IMO.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

If it's completely the same, then why would they bother changing anything? I'm really tired of new Microsoft interfaces, auto-formatting, and "enhancements". Every metro app I've tried has been completely neutered and offered zero functionality. And then there's all these cloud apps, which are completely and utterly useless in the absence of internet, and performance is throttled based on bandwidth and network responsiveness. I don't want to save my documents on Microsoft's network. I've already seen how great their security is, and am thoroughly unimpressed.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
E5Dg replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:51 AM

Everything about Microsoft is pure crap the services the software are bad and suck

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, May 3 2013 12:38 PM

Dominic; because it's a company trying to make profit? because competition has become stiff? because they are losing active accounts? because they wanted a rebranded old name to bring to the table alongside windows8? because outlook has always been considered the professional MS email while Hotmail was for teeny boppers. Can you tell me how they are different? Have you actually used both? Having had logged onto Hotmail and outlook side by side I saw no difference so I kept funneling my spam email to the Hotmail address and haven't used the outlook since but only because they are the same.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS