A Tale of Two Tablets: ASUS MeMO Pad Smart 10 and VivoTab Smart Compared

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,218
Points 1,187,345
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 2 2013 10:44 AM
There are some interesting things happening in the tablet world. Perhaps the biggest development of all is that Apple's iPad family is finally starting to yield market share to the competition, and that's primarily due to the increasing number of affordable Android slates being pumped out by name brand manufactures. At first, pedestrian price tags were only attached to Android tablets in the 7-inch range, but more recently we've started seeing large slates come down in cost. One of the more intriguing options is the Asus MeMO Pad Smart 10, a 10.1-inch slate that streets for as little as $280, or about half the price of a regular sized iPad. Given that it's one of the least expensive 10.1-inch Android tablets on the market, we told Asus we had to have one to evaluate, and they obliged.

What's also interesting in the land of tablets is the emergence of Microsoft's touch-friendly Windows 8/RT software. Microsoft made a concerted effort to build a unified platform that's just as capable on mobile devices (if not more so) than it is on the desktop, and that's given rise to a new generation of Windows hardware, including tablets and hybrids. In addition to the MeMO Pad mentioned above, Asus sent us its VivoTab Smart, another 10.1-inch tablet, only it's built on a x86 foundation and is running a full version of Windows 8 -- gnarly...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,600
Points 55,000
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 2 2013 11:34 AM

For the price, the MeMO Pad Smart is a no brainer. It's a little light on internal storage but it has the SD card slot and microUSB. Good to see 10-inch slates under $300!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 213
Points 2,220

Yeah, it's pretty slick. Just wish ASUS could have squeezed in a Full HD 1080p display at the same price point (what good is cake if you can't eat it too, right?)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I have the VivoTab Smart and it has issues. Like being pretty useless without the transleeve and kb. Should be bundled in, instead I had to pay 80 CAD to get it shipped. Sometimes screen rotation stops working. I dont know why, but I have to reboot. Windows 8 on my desktop is fine, since I never use metro. On the tablet, it is like a two world experience in which the old (desktop) doesnt realise that there is a world of touch. I have found many programs that do not like touch for mouse leading to terrible input recognition. One more thing, the atom is more than capable of handling anything one would do on a tablet. It ill even let you play games (but you will need a bt kb for that!)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS