Toshiba Ships 4K-Ready CompactFlash Card With 160MB/s Transfer Rate

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,797
Points 1,163,365
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 27 2013 9:35 PM
So, now that 4K HDTVs are hitting the production line, one has to wonder: where is all of that 4K content going to come from? No doubt, some of it will be upscaled 1080p content at first, but many motion pictures are already being shot natively in 4K. It's just a matter of time before even more content arrives that way, as well. But to do it properly, you need a capture card that can handle the extreme influx of all of that data. 4K shooting requires huge amounts of storage space, and also, a memory card with tons of bandwidth to handle all of the I/O transmissions.

That's where Toshiba comes in. The company has just announced a new 4K-ready, 160MB/s CompactFlash card, designed to cater to 4K-equipped DSLRs and video recorders. It's slated to become the world's fastest class of CF cards, slotted into the EXCERIA PRO series, and it should go on sale in the coming days for those in Japan. Sales will also follow in Asia, Europe and North America. The initial line-up of 16GB, 32GB and 64GB cards offers the world's highest level read and write speeds, but we're quite interested in knowing why higher capacity cards aren't being made available at launch. 4K shooting takes up a ton of space, so it looks like those who adopt these cards will be swapping them fairly frequently.

The new cards are compliant with the CompactFlash Association (CFA) standard CompactFlash® Specification Revision 6.1 and compatible with the UDMA7 high speed interface, ensuring they can support high performance DSLRs to the full. VPG-65 enables 4K resolution (a digital movie file format with horizontal resolution of approx. 4,000 pixels and vertical resolution of approx. 2,000 pixels) movie shooting and high quality Full HD video capture at high frame rates with no dropped frames.

Too bad there's no mention of a price; we're guessing it'll be very, very expensive right out of the gate.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Even 64GB is pretty tiny for 1080p, so where is it going to put all those extra pixels? So far I have seen one sony 4k camera (ces) and it was using ssds, but it was a larger camera.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:00 PM

Yeah, id expect atleast a 128 for their high end. Like the article says though guess they will have to switch them out alot.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Personally, I think that 64 gigs is not nearly enough. I understand that sounds like a heck of alot of space, but when you think about it, that is ALOT of extra pixels.

Say (For easy maths sake) That a 1080P hollywood movie takes up 4 gigs.

4k is (Pretty much) 4 times larger than 1080P, so lets say one of those 4k movies takes 16 gigs. (That is not to mention that 1080P movies are slightly compressed when you buy them to fit on cheaper discs, so presumably so would the new 4k ones)

So, you now have an 16 gig 4K movie. Congratulations. you can fit maybe 4 movies, if they're all slightly compressed and all that.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel like having to store 8-10 movies on this, and then have to delete some, or buy another card.

Hopefully they will realise those people that are buying 4K TV's and movie services, will be able to dish out some more for a 128 gigabyte version (As"Clixxer" has said ^) to be able to actually enjoy their experience.

(Btw I know 1080P movies aren't 4 gigs each, although I've seen some like that, i was just for simple understanding)

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:21 AM

yeah im just going to echo whats been said but even 64gb is not going to enough at all!!! come on toshiba think a bout this a little bit. Maybe though to give them the benefit of the doubt,just maybe they are playing it safe by making these more affordable with less storage but that also means less money spent by them just in the rare chance 4k isnt a smash success and this way their loss is minimal.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:23 AM

I also wonder if tv resolution is going to become like cell phones. Dont get me wrong i want a 1080p phone but honestly at that screen size it barely just barely doesnt matter anymore. Maybe thats why phones are getting bigger and bigger so this also seems to be a trend with tvs. The bigger the screen the more noticeable the pixels the higher the resolution needed.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS