Look-Out Google Fiber, VTel Vermont To Offer Gigabit Internet Speed At $35 A Month

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 27 2013 11:46 AM
You know, it's hard to be picky. Google Fiber, or a local fiber company -- so long as the Internet speeds trump those provided by generic coax-based ISPs, who are we to complain? Numerous towns around the nation, including many in Tennessee and even the small town of Wilson, North Carolina, have their own small-scale fiber ISPs. These companies compete directly with the huge cable and DSL providers, and now, also with Google Fiber in a handful of cities around the U.S. But when you think of Vermont, one of the least populated states in the nation, you probably don't think of the world's quickest connection speeds.

But maybe you should. Vermont Telephone Company, which covers around 17,500 homes in Vermont, is branching out in order to offer gigabit-level speeds to homes for as low as $35 per month. It's relying on a newly installed fiber network, and so far, around 600 homes are signed on. We're guessing the vast majority of the homes it covers will be on soon, just as soon as word can adequately spread. VTel was reportedly able to string fiber along 1,200 miles by using $94 million it received in stimulus funds. It's actually becoming a familiar tale. To date, over 700 rural phone companies have started the switch to fiber, and we're hoping that as this gains steam, it'll put pressure on the giant ISPs to drop prices, invest in fiber, or simply become more competitive.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

I can't wait for this to make it's all around the U.S. I live in a pretty populated area in Connecticut and only get around 5 mb/s with Comcast. Once this makes it way to all of the U.S., 4k television is going to become way more of a reality. Those downloads will be cut down to mere minutes instead of hours. And hopefully the T.V. prices will come down a lot. I find it a little funny that they decided to start in Vermont than in a little more densely populated state, but hey, more power to them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Looks like Google is starting a revolution. They should branch into Canada, Edmonton specifically...

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 8:37 PM

Strikes me that this is precisely the objective Google has had in mind ; i e, not to invest thousands upon thousands of millions themselves to provide decent internet speeds to the whole country, but rather with a limited investment to inspire many others to contribute to that development, which will undoubtedly be of benefit to Google's bottom line. Got to admire their strategic vision !...

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 8:49 PM

woohoo go google put everyone else on notice and make us give us the service we deserve for the ridiculous prices they charge !!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95

Comcast around by me in Chicago claims something like 50+ mb/s, but I've never seen it go past 5. Fiber would be a dream come true around here.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Yes!

Fiber-internet competition!

:D This is exactly what we need! Companies like google and Vtel need to start getting competitive pricing between eachother. That will draw in more companies, giving the consumer more choice (Or the illusion of choice >.>)

and then it would presumably be better for us in the short run. it's too early to say about the long run..

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,700
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 8:42 PM

Comcast may preach about there faster internet but technically coaxial cable is to fiber as phone lines are to coaxial cable at best in the current implementation and probably even twice that if not 4 times it bandwidth and capability wise. It really makes you wonder why the big phone and internet providers did not start rolling it out sooner because as it stands anyone can beat them not to mention surpass them almost instantaneously. It would also have enhanced the cellular market in the end as well because the easier the path the better and less demanding the reception as well as transmission would be. As it stands smaller operational consortium can walk right into a community now relatively easily throw down some fiber and own that market completely.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 9:02 PM

Just an FYI Greg, Docsis 2.0 modems (motorola surfboard, Ambit) can achieve those speeds but they will burn out so companies limit them. You need Docsis 3.0 to get consistent speeds over usually 40Mbps. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 11:37 PM

Fiber has been relatively expensive I know when I first started seeing new housing developments use fiber it was only in very lavish rich areas. And really it was a bonus not expected the first one I saw cost something like 20k per house granted it was a pretty big development but I dont think anything else roads power ect came close. And now its fairly common to get it for under 5k per home.

But combine old prices with the fact that most internet companys didnt have to compete. It was litterally comcast held 80% of market and at&t and other places like it held rural areas that didnt have comcast. While local companys spurred out they didnt often take alot of customers, and since local network normally isnt big enough to get peer agreement those local companys had to shell out to tie into the bigger companys backbones.

Competition is a friend to consumers in a free market but lately until several companys started to make a push. Internet providers have become complacent due to lack of competition. Why offer a service for 20% markup when you can get 1000% why put more effort in providing a better service if customers will not leave.

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 200
SNeese replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 5:43 PM

I wish they would come out here to Maryland. We have Verizon and Comcast. I am not happy with either one and the customer service for both companies is the pits. It would be nice to have some competition out here.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS