Google CEO Eric Schmidt Says Glass Critics Are “Afraid of Change,” But The Market Will Come Around

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,687
Points 1,207,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 26 2013 11:36 PM
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt had some interesting tings to say about Google Glass after trying on a pair for himself. He described talking out loud to Google Glass as "the weirdest thing," and also the most "impressive" aspect of the project. Schmidt is a high level Google guy, however, and we would expect nothing less than optimism. But will consumers react positively to what's essentially a voice-activated HUD? And if it becomes popular, will it wreck human interaction as we know it?

"The proposals that we’ve seen of applications are fantastic," Schmidt told a group at Harvard University, according to Xconomy. "So let’s just see. Give us a little bit of time. Let’s not pre-judge a product which is just this week getting to developers. Let’s give it a little bit of time to see what human ingenuity around the globe can do."

Project Glass

Schmidt said that Google is listening to criticisms along the way, "but criticisms are inevitably from people who are afraid of change or who have not figured out that there will be an adaption of society to it."

One of the biggest hurdles Google faces in selling people on Google Glass is convincing them that the technology is worth any potential privacy trade offs. Anyone wearing a Google Glass headset can take pictures and videos or record audio, and there are a number of scenarios where that could be problematic. Google could try to implement built-in safeguards, but it won't be able to stop a creeper from recording kids in a park or walking into a restroom, to offer just two examples. And even if there are safeguards, rooting the headset, as has already been done, could sidestep them.

Still, Schmidt has a point. It's far to early to let fear rule the day. For every criticism, there's probably five or ten things that are really exciting about Google Glass.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 425

I've always found talking to your devices, such as siri or google voice, to be kinda awkward in public. I think as the time passes on, this will become more of a norm for people. But I personally dodge having to talk to my device in public. I also think the fact that google glasses can sense your blinks is a neat feature. I remember reading a while back on how Microsoft is trying to implement eye tracking technology and being able to sense your blinks to navigate the metro apps. And there is a little typo at the very beginning, "some interesting tings to say," I think that should be things not tings...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

>Schmidt said that Google is listening to criticisms along the way, "but criticisms are inevitably from people who are afraid of change or who have not figured out that there will be an adaption of society to it."

1. adoption or adaptation but not adaption (not a word)

2. I think Schmidt is dumb. The critics are talking about privacy concerns and rightly so. Those are issues that need to be addressed.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

It's not as bad as a BlueTooth device stuck to the side of the head of a bald guy, but close.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Sat, Apr 27 2013 7:42 PM

Well i hate to do this to you but you 1 st point is invalid but if you watched it or read the original article you would see that this was just a typo by hothardware and that this article here http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2013/04/26/schmidt-google-glass-critics-afraid-of-change-society-will-adapt/ the one they are quoting actually has eric schmidt as saying adaptation and not this typo word that here adaption so he said it correctly. I kinda of made a very long but pointed argument in another post so ill try not to do it again. There are tons of devices that are way cheaper, readily available, and much much less inconspicuous(i.e baseball bats,hats,ties, belt buckles to name a few) so if someone is going to try to invade my privacy any devious person would not use such a device and plus its going to be too expensive for the average joe and honestly only those with a love of tech or new things with lots of money will purchase this so i doubt everyone in america is going to have one recording life all the time but hey everyone is entitled to there concerns regardless of how baseless they may be.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 120
beni7192 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 12:28 PM

if google improve some feathers of Glass can sell meny of this

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS