CBS Twitter Feed Hacked, “Syrian Electronic Army” Claims Responsibility

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,880
Points 1,116,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 21 2013 1:37 PM

It's another day, so that means only one thing: another Twitter account hijack. This latest incident comes courtesy of the "Syrian Electronic Army", a group that actively hijacks websites and accounts of entities that produce Syrian-related news that it deems hostile or inaccurate. Not one, but two accounts have been affected; @60Minutes, which has over 300,000 followers, and @CBSDenver, one with close to 25,000.

As of the time of writing, @60Minutes remains inaccessible, with Twitter citing an account suspension. Twitter itself hasn't disclosed any information regarding the hijacking, and for that reason, I don't think calling it a "hacking", as the BBC calls it, is appropriate. It's unlikely that the group got through via an exploit; rather, these accounts could have had simple passwords. There are a variety of other possibilities, but to jump on the "hacking" train with so little information is a bit hasty.

A couple of the messages posted to @60Minutes included, "The US government is hiding the real culprit of the Boston bombing, "Obama wants to destroy the Syrian and American people." and "Syrian Electronic Army Was Here via @SyrianCyberArmy".

While little damage was arguably done here, this incident once again highlights the need to keep accounts secure - especially corporate accounts like these.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

OK Syria...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 12:07 AM

You would think they might have something better to do than get into a twitter account. Yeah i'm sure alot of people saw it but probably though it was a joke more than real news.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS