Shortcuts

Apple Reportedly Halts Mac Component Orders, But Why?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 19 2013 9:53 AM
Well here's an interesting development. Apple is said to have stopped placing component orders for its Mac series of products, leaving upstream suppliers in limbo as to when the Cupertino company will decide to let them resume operations. If true, it raises a number of questions, the biggest one having to do with why the sudden shift in orders.

According to news and rumor site Digitimes and its un-named sources, Apple reduced its Mac orders to virtually nothing after the Lunar New Year holidays. It's been speculated that Apple overestimated the demand for Mac systems and was a little too aggressive in placing orders towards the end of 2012, leaving the company with a stockpile of inventory.

Apple iMac

It's a plausible explanation that falls in line with a recent report by International Data Corporation (IDC) indicating that PC shipments in the first quarter of 2013 declined by the largest year-on-year margin since the firm began tracking the PC market quarterly in 1994.

Digitimes wasn't clear if Apple halted orders for all Mac products or just specific lines. Apple sells a range of Mac systems, including the MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro desktops.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 8:36 PM

That must have freaked-out their suppliers,........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I am sure it is just a late April Fools. You know Apple, always behind the curve.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,040
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 8:49 PM

Wow shock hey.... even low sales on Apple computers..... was there a article just the other day saying how people are leaving PC's for Mac..... goes to show how that was a load of crap.

People are leaving desktops for tablets and phones cause they can use it anywhere.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 12:01 AM

Exactly what RiCoFrost said. Everyone is going mobile and only business' which will update software before hardware and gamers are the only people buying desktops. I'm sure their is still a percentage of home users that buy it but that has to be dwindling and if you have all the peripherals then you can usually get out cheaper building something than getting a computer in a box.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS