Sprint Spreads Its LTE Wings With 21 New Markets Getting Covered

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,896
Points 1,174,490
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 18 2013 11:44 PM
Sprint lost a lot (a lot!) of time in the 4G war by selecting WiMAX while everyone else waited for LTE to become the de facto choice of carriers. Now, the carrier's trying to right the ship, and it's slowly but surely introducing a swath of new LTE markets. This week, it introduced one of its largest chunks to date, as it looks to drop LTE coverage over 21 new markets.

Sprint's network holes have become glaringly obvious of late, and it's clearly on a lower level (along with T-Mobile) in the coverage game. Adding LTE, however, could help the customer bleeding that has been happening in recent quarters. The new LTE markets include Los Angeles, Contra Costa County, Calif., Charlotte, N.C., Norfolk, Va., and Memphis, Tenn. There's also Denison, Texas, Joplin, Mo., Mankato/North Mankato, Minn., Palm Bay, Fla., Tullahoma, Tenn. and West Palm Beach, Fla. The full list can be seen below.

Sprint has announced more than 170 markets where LTE will be available in the coming months, and is adding the following markets to that list today: Fargo, N.D.
  • Orlando, Fla.
  • Portland, Ore.
  • Spokane, Wash.
  • Tallahassee, Fla.
  • Albertville, Ala.
  • Centralia, Wash.
  • Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Durant, Okla.
  • El Paso, Texas
  • Enid, Okla.
  • Enterprise/Ozark, Ala.
  • Eugene/Springfield, Ore.
  • Faribault/Northfield, Minn.
  • Greenville, Miss.
  • Hattiesburg, Miss.
  • Jacksonville, Texas
  • Kennewick/Pasco/Richland, Wash.
  • LaGrange, Ga.
  • Longview, Texas
  • Longview, Wash.
  • Milledgeville, Ga.
  • Moses Lake, Wash.
  • Paducah, Ky.
  • Picayune, Miss.
  • Poplar Bluff, Mo.
  • Russellville, Ark.
  • Seaford, Del.
  • Sterling, Ill.
  • Talladega/Sylacauga, Ala.
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  • Valdosta, Ga.
  • Wenatchee/East Wenatchee, Wash.
  • Yakima, Wash.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:49 AM

well they tried something different but lte was just far to superior and now they are way behind. Hopefully sprint gets there stuff together since at least tmobile has a decent hspa+ network while sprints 3g and wimaxx are both pretty terrible

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:22 PM

I'm just curious to why they had it up and going to certain places. Denison is a small town by the Oklahoma border. Atleast they are getting it out though. Further ahead than Tmobile at this point.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
CDavis1 replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 4:15 PM

Greenville, Hattisburg, & Picayune, Mississippi is now covered but not New Orleans. Someone please tell me what is wrong with that picture.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 1:06 AM

I'm wondering now if they are going to places that AT&T and Verizon do not have a big presence at. I know as a kid the town I grew up in which was about 20 minutes outside Dallas you could only get sprint if you wanted coverage. Even today Sprint has full bars there and AT&T is 2 maybe 3 if the wind is blowing right.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS