Archos Rolls Out Line of Affordable Unlocked Android Smartphones

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,688
Points 1,207,150
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 18 2013 1:40 PM
Archos, long known for its many (mostly Android) tablets, announced today that it’s getting into the smartphone game, too, starting with a line of Android handsets that are designed to offer a nice balance of features and affordability.

Specifically, Archos is eyeing the unlocked smartphone market, where the lack of subsidization from carriers is both a blessing and a curse, as users can be free to choose the carrier of their choice but also have to drop loads of cash on a decent smartphone (or phablet, as it were). The company believes it’s found the sweet spot with the Archos 35 Carbon ($99.99), Archos 50 Platinum ($219.99), and Archos 53 Platinum ($249.99).

All three phones will offer stock Android (Jelly Bean for the pricier models and ICS for the Carbon) OSes with access to Google Play and other Google services, dual-SIM capabilities, IPS displays, Archos Media Centre Apps, contacts and storage backed by the cloud, and both front and rear cameras.

Archos Android phones

The specs for the inexpensive Carbon are solid: It has a 1GHz Qualcomm 7225A Cortex-A5 chip; 512MB of RAM; 4GB of onboard storage; and a G-Sensor, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, and GPS. There’s also WiFi, BT, FM stereo, an audio jack, and a micro-USB 2.0 slot for syncing and charging. The 3.5-inch screen size may turn some users off, though.

The flagship handset in the trio is the Archos 50 Platinum, which boasts a 5-inch display, a quad core (1.2GHz) Qualcomm 8225Q Cortex A5 processor, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of onboard storage, and all the same sensors as the Carbon. It also has WiFi (with DLNA, UpnP) and the same BT, FM stereo, and ports. The 53 Platinum has essentially the same specifications and features as the 50 Platinum, but it has an even larger 5.3-inch screen.

There’s no word on when (or if, we suppose) the handsets will land on U.S. shores, but they’ll be available in Europe starting at the end of May.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 361
Points 2,580

These sound like nice handsets. I hope they get here State dude soon. I have a feeling though they won't. Which is a shame.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 6:10 PM

Probably sometime in Q3. Sounds like a good deal to and especially after devs get after them for tweaking. Not to mention having them unlocked for user $250. Could be a good score for Archos is they do it right and they preform well. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Sound OK for the price, but Archos build quality is terrible.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,525
ajm531 replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 12:53 AM

now if only they could make an android handset with a 128 gb of storage or more like some of there tablets but i know that wont happen with the size of the phones. But honestly i wouldnt recommend an archos device to people unless they were looking for a super cheap phone or tablet. Even then i would recommend the nexus 4 or 7

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS