Netbooks To Meet Their Complete Demise By 2015

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,104
Points 1,183,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 14 2013 1:46 PM
Are netbooks still around? After being here, there, and everywhere during the period between 2008 and 2010, the mini-notebooks seemed to die off in shockingly quick fashion. While the concept of a low-cost, highly mobile machine was interesting in a world where tablets and high-powered smartphones were just novelties, a lot has changed. People are now expecting their machines to do more and be more mobile from the get-go; indeed, many 11" and 13" ultraportables are far lighter and thinner than these rigs were in 2008.

As always, market demand spells out what products OEMs will produce, and the demand for netbooks is clearly waning. According to research first iSuppli, netbook shipments are anticipated to fall to under 4 million units in 2013, representing a whopping 72% drop from 2012. In 2010, a staggering 32 million netbooks were shipped. And at this rate, iSuppli expects netbook shipments to essentially cease in 2015 after dropping below 1 million in 2014.

And honestly, we haven't seen a good reason to think otherwise. Companies are far more focused on tablets, phones and Ultrabooks than they are netbooks. Margins are tight already, and these netbooks leave little room for profit. Back in the depths of the recession, selling netbooks made sense. But technology trends move quickly, and there's no better proof of that than the rapid rise and fall of netbooks.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 2:09 PM

I have an older Acer Aspire 10" Netbook and would have bough a tablet if they were available for the same price.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Sucks really, I mean hopefully the desktop/high end laptop market wont be next. I personally have no intention of going fully portable i just dont see the point

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 250

@Kurt, I think you're wrong. I'm hoping we move to a sort of portable / dock system. Where your devices are powerful enough to run desktop software efficiently and you can just plug in to your home unit. Or wirelessly connect,

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 6:14 PM

The lack of any new netbooks and the definite push by companies to no longer make them probably has a lot to do with it... rather than an actual lessing of demand, people just don't have any real options anymore... but people still demand lower cost solutions and that may eventually force them to start offering netbooks or similar solutions again... we'll have to wait and see!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,905
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 8:27 PM

Netbooks were always too inexpensive to survive for long. No profit margins means a tangible lack of interest in making them. Everything designed afterwards is way too expensive.

It reminds me of the HDD price wars and the subsequent ~to the moon~ prices after that friggin' flood.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 14 2013 10:46 PM

JoshuaRichards:

@Kurt, I think you're wrong. I'm hoping we move to a sort of portable / dock system. Where your devices are powerful enough to run desktop software efficiently and you can just plug in to your home unit. Or wirelessly connect,

Uhh I hope that never happens. I could see the mobile world catching up to the desktop work but I wouldn't want to be docked into anything. No room for upgrades which is my whole thing about laptops!

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS