IBM Says Flash Memory Total Cost Less Than Hard Drives for the Data Center

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,859
Points 1,171,650
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 12 2013 2:02 PM
Desktops and data centers are two very different beasts, and what's true of one might not be true of the other. For example, even though solid state drive (SSD) pricing has fallen dramatically in past year, it's still cheaper to equip a desktop or laptop system with a mechanical hard disk drive (HDD). The same isn't necessarily true when it comes to data centers, and if you ask IBM, the company will tell you that flash-based storage makes more economical sense at this point. How can that be?

Part of the reason is because flash storage doesn't contain any moving parts, thereby making it a more reliable and durable solution, IBM says. Flash storage is also more energy efficient and doesn't require nearly the same investment into cooling as HDDs do. That's not a big deal for a home system, but when you're talking about a data center, those costs add up in a hurry. And then there are the performance benefits.

IBM FlashSystem 810

"The economics and performance of flash are at a point where the technology can have a revolutionary impact on enterprises, especially for transaction-intensive applications," said Ambuj Goyal, General Manager, Systems Storage, IBM Systems & Technology Group. "The confluence of Big Data, social, mobile and cloud technologies is creating an environment in the enterprise that demands faster, more efficient, access to business insights, and flash can provide that access quickly.”

IBM has a vested interest in flash storage and its comments come as it announces the availability of its "FlashSystem" line of all-flash storage appliances, which are based on technology it acquired from Texas Memory Systems last year. According to IBM, its FlashSystem units are much faster than HDD-based solutions and can provide up to 90 percent reductions in transaction times for applications like banking, trading, and telecommunications; up to 85 percent reductions in batch processing chores; and up to 80 percent reductions in energy consumption.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,185
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 10:01 PM

I think that this is a fabulous idea. It will help to drive flash prices even lower, and that's much needed.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 4:29 AM

Widespread adoption of this technique - and practical demonstrations that it lives up to its hype - would not only drive flash prices lower, even in the general consumer market, but probably also lead to significant improvement as regards reliability and control systems. Bring it on !...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 235

I would love to build an all-flash system, and I also belive that the more it's accepted and used on a wide scale the more affordabe it will be for us regular users as well.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
tcadj replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:35 PM

So I know that the OS on flash is much faster but data spanned across several flash drives deliver faster read speeds as well?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
tcadj replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:35 PM

So I know that the OS on flash is much faster but data spanned across several flash drives deliver faster read speeds as well?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

tcadj:

If you put a couple of SSD's in a RAID array, you will get massive performance depending on how you set it up

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS