Freezing. Can't find cause?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle Posted: Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:55 PM

I'm at a complete loss and any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X770-01J (a 'gaming' laptop - yeah right).
It's constantly freezing. I have tested BOTH hard drives that were inside of it with Seatools. I tested the memory several times with memtest86. INFO: This laptop was used HEAVILY for gaming and it would run so hot that it shut off. The owner would wait a little while , turn it on and do the same thing again. This went on for over a YEAR never bothering to get it fixed. So I'm wondering if this is the CPU or motherboard on the way out due to heat damage or something.

Thinking it just needed to be cleaned up I re-formatted with the built in recovery software. I couldn't find any hardware problems (other than possible over heating) so I figured a reformat would solve. Technically, it does reformat and reinstall Windows. But then the recovery software kicks in and starts installing drivers. It gets to about 14 out of 70 and freezes. From observation, it seems to me that when it tries to install the network drivers (Ethernet and wifi) it freezes. I tried to cancel out the auto install of drivers and do it manually but to no avail. I reformatted with a good Windows 7 disc thinking the system software was finicky and was going to install drivers manually from the Toshiba site but after Windows loads to the desktop it's only a couple minutes and it freezes up again. I was successful for a short time and got all the main drivers installed including network drivers but it started to freeze again. So I uninstalled network drivers trying to isolate the problem. I'm after trying this about 50 times every which way and I cannot escape the freezing. Now without network drivers installed, still freezes. I have tried the recovery software and just a normal Windows 7 disc and nothing will work.

One other thing: I took the laptop apart and removed all dust and old thermal paste. I applied new Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste so I know it isn't over heating. In the first place it didn't seem to be overly hot but I did this anyway just to rule it out. It never hurts. Normally I would check temps first to see if it made a difference but it wouldn't let me into anything long enough before it started freezing.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:18 PM

That is an odd problem. Im not sure how to or if it possible but have to tried resetting the cmos to make sure nothing was changed. It could be a possible heat related issue though but that may be somewhere to start from.

Also when it does freeze do you get blue screen at all?

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:56 PM

It is odd. I have fixed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds, etc of computers and cell phone , other electronics. And this has been one of the worst I've dealt with. I can't do a thing with it. No matter what ibtrybnot how I don't, the damn thing just freezes. 

I will look into that. Although I have already had it on long enough to get into the bios and reset to defaults previously. I don't think that's the issue. Inalsonchecked for a new version of the bios from toshiba and I don't believe it holds any fixes for such issues. 

With regards to a heat problem I already did the thermal paste fix. Still freezing up just a couple minutes into windows. Same thing happens in safe mode though I will check again. Is it possible this problem was left too long that it is now causing the motherboard or CPU to flake out? Up until now the user was using this laptop even after it shut down due to over heating. That can cause permanent damage eventually. I think what i will try is no Ethernet  drivers and just wifi. Maybe its coincidence but it seems like it freezes up especially when installing network drivers or whenever it tries to auto connect upon windows startup. The built in recoveryfrom toshiba is the worst I've ever seen. And if i cold boot the laptop the process will begin again from where it left off I'm  assuming only half installing drivers. Thats when i tried it that way. My last attempt was just with a windows disc. nAny good free program or boot program to test the CPU with that someone could recommend? 

Anyone have any experience with this model????

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:00 PM

No blue screens. Just freezing. I can reformat with the windows disc not a hitch. But when I start to install drivers it crumbles. Seemingly. And using the built in recovery I think reformists the drive and installs windows fine but it fails when trying to install the drivers. It freezes. And I notice it tries to install drivers for hardware that isn't even in that model. For example the wifi is intel but it tries to install both intel and atheros which is found in some other versions of this laptop I guess. But the laptop can't function correctly without the drivers so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Even doing a format with the windows disc and letting windows update get the drivers results in the same. Trust me I've tried everything. Any advice please anyone 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:52 PM

Can the only thing I can think of is even though you replaced the thermal paste and did everything correctly is just the board is somehow damaged and maybe whenever it reaches a certain load it just cant handle it. 

Odd, sorry can't give ya much help but id be curious if you do find out the problem just for my own memory bank.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 10:54 PM

I had this problem with my fathers laptop.  It wasn't the exact same as what you have described.  I tried most of what you did, and also re-applied thermal paste and all that.  

In the end, I had to trash it.  I could not find out what was wrong with it, and it ended up turning into a nice hunk of copper and plastic in the trash after I salvaged the usable peices.

Sorry I cannot be of any assistance, good luck man :|

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS