Dropbox Debuts Single Sign-On and Rebranded ‘Dropbox for Business’

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 10 2013 3:55 PM
Cloud storage and sharing service Dropbox continues to build out its offerings in the enterprise; for starters, there’s simple yet telling name change from “Dropbox for Teams” to “Dropbox for Business”. Additionally, Dropbox is rolling out more upgrades for its business-level service.

Today’s addition is single sign-on (SSO) capabilities, which will be available next month. Dropbox explains it thusly: “SSO works behind the scenes to let users sign in just once to a central identity provider, like Active Directory, and securely access all their business apps, like Dropbox. With SSO, companies can put their existing trusted identity provider in charge of the authentication process.”

Dropbox

In other words, Dropbox can integrate into your existing IT infrastructure so admins can manage security and authentication and fall under an organization’s existing password policies. It also removes the need for one more password, as signing on to a company network will also sign the user in to Dropbox.

Just how widespread will the new Dropbox for Business features be used? The company says that 95% of all Fortune 500 companies and 2 million other businesses use Dropbox, managing more than 600 million files every week.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:30 PM

This is good information to know. I use dropbox is a purely cloud storage usage so I can share things with other people for different things. Only think I do not like about it and prefer Google docs over is the instant editing. I got documents have have 4 people as editors and we can all edit the same thing at the same time and while it does not happen often it is very useful tool when we are all trying to change the same document.

I know dropbox has its own way of managing that with making conflicting docs when multiple people are changing the same document. That is probably better for a corporate setting but for I would say my home use I still like Google docs.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:45 PM

Dropbox is stepping up as a direct competitor to google docs and other online based business solutions for document management.

I wonder whether this is alluding to whether Dropbox starts trying to cater primarily towards a business or consumer market?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:47 AM

My guess would be that Dropbox will continue in both markets. There's no reason not to, and when people are using it at home they're more likely to want to bring it in to work, too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 6:40 PM

scolaner:

My guess would be that Dropbox will continue in both markets. There's no reason not to, and when people are using it at home they're more likely to want to bring it in to work, too.

Well I look at this as something that go hand in hand. People use it at home and really like it then they will find a way to use it for work even if their job does not. If they use it for work then they will find something to use it for home use. I understand the corporate side probably has alot more money in it but if they just stop the consumer side they could see a pretty big hit and leave the door open for others.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This has been very helpful for my online business, good that the single sign-on is activated and I was able to login using one account at different devices.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS