Opening Pandora's Box: 200 Million Registered Listeners, 400 Curated Stations

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,555
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:25 AM
Pandora revealed some impressive numbers today, starting with the fact that the streaming music service is now home to 200 million registered users. It took six years for Pandora to go from 0 to 100 million listeners after it launched in 2005, and then was able to double that number in less than two years.

"When we launched Pandora in 2005, we hoped to create a new way to discover and enjoy music that was completely personalized for each and every listener. We envisioned a time when artists of all kinds would thrive on radio, connecting with fans who loved exactly their kind of music," Pandora founder Tim Westergren stated in a blog post. "I have to admit, we had no idea what was in store! I has been, and continues to be, an extraordinary experience for all of us."

Pandora
Image Source: Pandora

An infographic on Westergren's blog post claims Pandora now streams over 200 million songs before 10AM each day, or about 8,000 song per second. Last month, Pandora served up more than 1.49 billion hours of music. To put that figure into perspective, it would take a single person 170,510 years to listen to that much music nonstop.

Pandora's found widespread success in its Music Genome Project, which is an effort to introduce listeners to new songs they'll likely find appealing by analyzing their listening habits. Each song in the Music Genome Project is analyzed using up to 450 distinct musical characteristics. It's not a guarantee that every song played will be appealing to the listener, but if it isn't, a thumbs down button ensures it won't be streamed again.

In 2012, Pandora streamed 13 billion hours of music. More recently, a decision was made to cap free mobile listening to 40 hours per month due to rising royalty costs. Users who reach that ceiling can pony up $0.99 to unlock mobile listening for the remainder of the month.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 5,260
ForumsAdministrator

Quite impressive given the service can only be used in three countries.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:11 PM

That is pretty impressive. I know personally I love pandora. When Spotifiy came out I tried it out but just went back to pandora.

I didn't know they had those kind of numbers though.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Points 2,415

Amazing. I do like Pandora. It's very nice being able to listen in my mobile device and pc and listen to the same "stations" on both.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:46 PM

For what it's worth, I feel like most of the stations are decent at best. If you select it by artist it eventually drifts off to unrelated music. Even with the ability to thumbs up or down a song to influence what it plays.

Even considering that, I still like Pandora and can't complain about free high quality music.

Also if anyone is looking for stations that consistently play good music through and through... The Black Key, Nero and Vitamin String Quartet Stations are all filled with good quality music.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 5,260
ForumsAdministrator

Being a Canadian, I can't access either of those (legally) ;-)

Whenever I do feel like using a service like that, I stick to Last.fm or Grooveshark.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS