FOX Says It'll Leave Network TV If Aereo's Streaming Service Survives

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,488
Points 1,196,310
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 8 2013 9:23 PM
If you aren't familiar with Aereo, here's the highlight: it's a service that allows users to stream live over-the-air TV networks through the Internet, anywhere in the world. As of right now, the service is limited to the New England area, but it plans to spread as fast as possible. It's also wrapped up in all sorts of legal trouble, as the TV networks (CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX) want the whole thing shut down. Evidently, there's lost revenue when networks aren't watched through conventional means (pay-TV or antennas), and instead of learning to adapt to the Internet, they're just trying to blockade progress.

The real issue is that Aereo doesn't pay transmission fees to the networks; it just takes content that's already being transmitted, and then funnels it over the Internet. FOX's COO Chase Carey has come out swinging, stating that his network would consider going off of the network air (and instead broadcasting as a pay-TV cable channel like ESPN) if Aereo's services end up being okayed by the courts.

Of course, that decision is a long ways from being made, but it's a curious thing to come out and say. It's also highly unlikely that he's being truthful. Due to free access via antennas, network channels receive millions more viewers than your average cable channel. Changing that access would have huge impact on FOX's advertisers, and they'd be none too pleased to hear that it lost millions of viewers due to a squabbel with an Internet start-up company.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:29 AM

I switched over to simply watching what is available via the internet (Netflix and Hulu primarily). I don't miss "network" TV. Mostly the reason I switched is they just charge too much for Cable TV service and then pound me with so many commercials that I end up feeling like I was watching more commercials than show. About the only way I could really put up with it was to DVR all the shows I wanted to watch then fast forward/skip through the commercials.

I think eventually most network TV will be available via the internet, but in the meanwhile the cable networks and providers are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their fat profits rather than adapt to a changing time.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50
rychu79 replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 12:32 AM

Adapt or die people its that simple

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 50

WOOOOOooo.... Wait Fox as a whole??

Cause Aereo is expanding to Cali this year...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 805

I have no use for Fox at all..Terrible news coverage..shows that were funny the first year or so they ran..If you're still watching the Simpsons after all these years? Nevermind, I need not say more.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,044
Points 9,705
sevags replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:49 PM

I wish Aereo ALL the luck in the world!!! Great idea that should be one standard around the world. Fox/clear channel need to get with the times, stop holding on to deals with standard networks, and look to future and modern ways to make money instead of sticking with an archaic system that doesn't benefit paying customers.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:52 PM

Pretty interesting. I agree with Johnny3D in that at some point the TV networks will start putting the news and other stuff on the internet. Most of them have it where you can watch their TV shows off their website which is not perfect but its a start. Its gonna come sooner or later with the way people are ditching paid TV services. If my TV service wasn't at a fairly good discount I wouldn't have it. Then again with Google Fiber going to Austin I can only hope they make their way to Dallas and into my house eventually.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 8:53 PM

The thing about it is basically this the adapt or die which is true and we have evidence through music and it's industry. They did and said basically the same thing for several years until it finally sunk in that if they did not adapt they would just end. Then they adapted which TV will basically have to as well. I just know it is going to be different because advertising and television right now make so much money it is beyond the reality plus it is really owned by a very small group of individuals like Rupert Murdoch.

One thing as well that is coming out of left field is Google. There doing another fiber optic network here in a suburb of Atlanta as well as completely in Austin Texas. Intel is also messing around with some things from what I understand. It will take mega players like these to beat out the empire's of Comcast, Time Warner, and Fox etc really. Either way it seems to be happening no matter how slowly as we speak .

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Points 665

as long as i can get this service for free and then turn off the ads the steamer wants to feed me to pay for the service I'm fine.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
zaywop replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:32 AM

This is a good site, but the lack of journalistic integrity is frustrating. Headlines that don't match the facts in the article undermine the credibility of your site, as does editorializing in the place of reporting. I don't mean to sound harsh here, I like your site and I want it to be better.

Your headline is not borne out by the content of your article. Your headline "FOX Says It'll Leave Network TV" is very definite. But in the body of the article it turns into FOX merely "considering" leaving, which is not the same at all. And how about a quote of what FOX said, instead of just your interpretation?

You guys choose interesting topics to report on, and you cover some stories the big guys miss. Well done! If only you would adhere to the basic tenets of journalism you could elevate this site to the next level.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,922
Points 24,695
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:42 PM

It looks like CBS wants to do the same.

Funny thing about Aereo, when they first started being in NYC I signed up only to find that I had no devices they supported. Move ahead a year and a half and I have multiple devices they support but they want to charge me $$$ saying my trial that I was unable to use is up. I thought they only charged for DVR service or if you wanted to watch more than 1 hour a day.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS