Guinness Strips Bugatti Veyron of Fastest Production Car World Record

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,745
Points 1,210,150
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 8 2013 11:20 AM
The devil sure is in the details, isn't it? Given that world records generally involve semantics that matter, calling the Bugatti Veyron the "world's fastest production car" relied heavily on specifics. Including specifics involving the test car used to set the record compared to vehicles made available to the public. Despite costing nearly $2 million, the exotic supercar has just lost its Guinness World Record due to an infraction in testing. The record speed was 267.8 miles per hour, but the vehicle used to achieve that feat in July of 2010 did not use a speed restrictor -- and yes, that restrictor is in place on the 30 cars sold to the public. Therefore, the test vehicle wasn't a "production" vehicle in the truest sense.

Guinness World Records issued the following statement: "It has come to the attention of Guinness World Records that there was an oversight in its adjudication of the ‘Fastest production car’ which was set in 2010 by the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport. As the car’s speed limiter was deactivated, this modification was against the official guidelines. Consequently, the vehicle’s record set at 431.072 km/h is no longer valid. Following this, Guinness World Records is reviewing this category with expert external consultants to ensure our records fairly reflect achievements in this field."

Bugatti, however, has another take: "Guinness knew the Veyron’s speed limiter was deactivated but that for safety reasons, cars subsequently sold to customers would have their speed limiters activated [set at 258mph]. It’s not a hard blow if we lose this title. The Super Sport is more than just a world-record car."

No love lost, huh?
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 568
Points 5,155

It is not only no longer a world record car, it is ugly as sin too. Sorry, someone had to say it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,079
Points 10,000
sevags replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 1:05 PM

I whole-heartedly disagree!!! I have always found the Bugatti design to be far more attractive than other super cars. Back in 1994-95 they held the record for fastest production car as well and that was a very attractive car, the Veyron is a beautiful evolution of it. Nice round smooth sloping angles instead of the jagged sharp stealth jet looking angles of other supercars which got old in the 70's.

What car now holds the record at over 258mph? Does another production car come at over 258mph but below 267.8mph?

Even without holding the record this is one ridiculously fast and sexy car and far more impressive to see driving down the road than any other car except for the Maybach Exelero.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 635
Points 5,705
ForumsAdministrator

That is a picture of the "regular" Veyron, not the Super Sport (which is black with orange accents).

Love love love love this car.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 115

Sorry everyone has their own opinion if the car is ugly or not :) But I find this car sexy as hell!!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 2,050

It doesn't officially hold the title yet, but:

"...taking the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport’s place as the "fastest production car" will most likely be the Hennessey Venom GT, which recently hit 265.7 mph in a non-Guinness-record attempt ."

It's just a matter of time until the Hennessey team organizes an official Guinness record attempt. From what I understand it was Hennessey that originally called out Bugatti on the deactivation of the restrictor in the first place.

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:00 PM

This is the one I can't wait for:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bugatti/2014-bugatti-superveyron-ar138038.html

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 4:46 PM

I am undecided in how it looks. Ive seen certain pictures that make it look amazing and some where it just looks like crap and others where its meh. As far as the record goes that sucks they lost it but considering all the publicity it has gotten I doubt they even care at this point except maybe alittle pride in what they thought the Guinness World Records knew.

Now if someone showed up tomorrow and asked me to take his Bugatti off his hands even it was the color of a turd and the speed limiter activated I would not think twice about destroying the tires in minutes.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 10:26 PM

I don't think this car is beautiful but I don't think its ugly either. On just looks I think its way behind the Ferrari Italia or the Pagani Huayra (the interior of the Huayra is AMAZING!!).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 568
Points 5,155

Per Guinness, since the super sport has lost their title then the SSC Ultimate Aero TT (which took it from the original Veyron) would officially have held it since 2007.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,771
Points 105,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 10:08 AM

I don't care how this car looks, I'd still love to drive it for a day or two. (Yes, Gas-Gas!!)

If they want the title of the world's fastest car again, I 'm sure that they'll go and get it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:31 PM

realneil:

I don't care how this car looks, I'd still love to drive it for a day or two. (Yes, Gas-Gas!!)

If they want the title of the world's fastest car again, I 'm sure that they'll go and get it.

Well im sure they will either find some loophole or they will just "change" something on the next year model or whatever if they even care to get the title back. Its not like the whole world doesnt know what a Bugatti Veyron is since they "held" the title for the past few years. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

What is truly amazing is that the Venom GT got to top speed in 2 miles whereas the Bugatti required 4 miles to reach top speed. Give the Venom GT more room to run and it will completely spank the Bugatti all day long...along with everyone else.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS