Fake Twitter Followers Are A Huge, Growing Business and Difficult To Spot

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,509
Points 1,197,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:05 PM
With every new boom on the Internet, there usually comes some sort of business that deals with it. In comes Facebook, and ads follow. In come sold-out arenas, and in comes StubHub. You get the gist. With Twitter, however, the business that has followed hasn't entirely been straight-and-narrow. While the company is earning revenue via advertisements and sponsored tweets, there's a seedy underbelly that's operating behind the scenes, outside of the reach of Twitter's authority. It's the business of fake followers, and it's steadily growing into a multimillion-dollar industry.

Like most everything in life, clout matters, and on Twitter that's exceptionally true. One of the easiest ways to judge someone's allure on Twitter is to view their follower count -- but of course, gaining actual followers for those who aren't celebrities can be mighty tough. So, entire websites have been erected to provide fake followers to those willing to pay up. Most are sold in batches of 1,000, with some sites promising tens of thousands of followers if they fork out enough cash.

The average price (today) for an extra 1,000 followers is $18, and it seems that the creation process is so easily automated that legions of people are getting their slice of the pie. Of course, it seems just a matter of time before Twitter steps in and halts the creation of such accounts, but figuring out an automatic way to decipher between a fake account and a real one is tougher than you might think.

Whatever the case, it's probably not worth the hassle in picking up fake followers; what gain is there if you're busted?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

Why do people need twitter followers? can some one please explain why people buy twitter followers?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:43 PM

No way theirs fake people on twitter next thing I know there going to say all those people with the exact same name on 3 accounts on Facebook are not real as well although I do find it odd a lot of male names seem to be female in there pictures and usually scantily clad is a go to theme for these photos.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, Apr 8 2013 5:26 PM

Usually you would be surprised by something like that but if people can make a buck off of it then they will do it. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I hear twitterfollowerstore.com is the best!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 6:25 PM

MichaelBerk:

I hear twitterfollowerstore.com is the best!

Lol so can I order followers in the 1000s or 100000s? I want to be ifamous! err efamous please don't sue me Apple!

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS