EA on Verge of 'Winning' Worst Company Vote, Vows to "Do Better"

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,540
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:45 AM
Electronic Arts beat out AT&T, Ticketmaster, and several other companies to advance to the semifinals in the Consumerist's annual "Worst Company in America" award, as voted by the people (an anti-popularity contest, if you will). If EA pulls out a victory, it will repeat as Grand Champion of the not-so-prestigious award, and if you think companies aren't paying attention to the results, think again.

Peter Moore, chief operating officer at EA, penned a blog post in defense of the company he works for, stating that "the tallest trees catch the most wind." Beyond deep thoughts, Moore points out that this is the same poll that last year voted EA a worse company than ones responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts.

SimCity Mayor

His perceived unfairness of the poll aside, Moore acknowledges that EA will likely win (lose?) the award again this year, and that there are things the games publisher can improve upon.

"I’ll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes," Moore admits. "These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this."

Yes, EA certainly does owe gamers a commitment to do better, and that's the point company execs should take away from this poll. Regardless of whether EA is truly the worst company in all of America, it's winning the anti-popularity contest, and that's a self-inflicted problem.
  • | Post Points: 185
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

Weird thing to vote on but it's actual true lol

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

It's telling that Peter Moore, the COO, is so confident that he knows better than his own customer base that he invalidates them categorically. The humility one would expect from a perennial 'winner' in his category.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Hamballs replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:26 PM

Bring back SilentDeath Online!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:35 PM

Indeed, instead of being so defensive, they might actually pull themselves out of the bucket if they showed some compassion over it and just reacted.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 12:42 PM

Not surprised, this is what happens when you DRM the crap out of all your games and the most recent issue with SimCity brought even more attention to this before they patched it with an update to play offline.

If you do things that customers and users don't like, they're not going to like you.. that's clear as day

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Points 1,005
KOwen replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 1:15 PM

Essentially the same response as last year. We will probably keep making them grand champion of losertown until we finally see some humility out of them (at this rate it seems that will never happen). How long must we smite you before you get over your denial EA? It would be so easy to get customer turn around too, unfortunately it would mean taking a slight hit to profitability because it would mean ridding yourself of excessive DRM and Origin. But I imagine you lose more profit with such a negative reputation. Listen to the consumer instead of looking down your nose at them. You don't know what we want more than we do.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:13 PM

KOwen:

Essentially the same response as last year. We will probably keep making them grand champion of losertown until we finally see some humility out of them (at this rate it seems that will never happen). How long must we smite you before you get over your denial EA? It would be so easy to get customer turn around too, unfortunately it would mean taking a slight hit to profitability because it would mean ridding yourself of excessive DRM and Origin. But I imagine you lose more profit with such a negative reputation. Listen to the consumer instead of looking down your nose at them. You don't know what we want more than we do.

Agreed. Hopefully with the resigning of CEO the next one will want to be more customer based. While I like Origin to an extent I will still buy games to use on Steam long before Origin or Uplay. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 795

Didn't need to have that vote, we knew that for years..but since they're "Winning" it..Runner Up is.... Activision/Blizzard!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

At least EA hasn't caused an oil spill, robbed of people of their life savings, or caused global thermonuclear war...yet.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 6:37 PM

thunderdan602:

At least EA hasn't caused an oil spill, robbed of people of their life savings, or caused global thermonuclear war...yet.

It feels like they are robbing people with $70 games and then oh yeah buy this for $50 bucks for the DLCs. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015

EA has been making a lot of missteps for quite a while... I'm curious to see what direction they take now that their old CEO (John Riccitiello) stepped down (story here). Sometimes companies can get new leadership that will help drag them back into the good graces of their customers, but it remains to be seen whether the new CEO (whoever that ends up being) can manage to pull that off or not.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:40 PM

lets see they didnt learn there lesson last year soooo hopefully this year(yeah right)?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 100
Points 660

"Not surprised, this is what happens when you DRM the crap out of all your games and the most recent issue with SimCity brought even more attention to this before they patched it with an update to play offline.

If you do things that customers and users don't like, they're not going to like you.. that's clear as day"

where is this off-line patch you speak of?

https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-updates

I still can't play w/o talking to Origin, which I have to reinstall every couple days because it deletes itself for some odd reason. I vote they sux...

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 120

ah-ah-ah.. Pretty sure EA is vowing to do better at being the worst company.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 10:11 AM

If EA could go for an entire year without laying off developers (particularly those that just finished a new game), I might have more respect for them.  

Why the hell do they keep buying studios if only to let people go?  The logical answer is that it's a strategy to kill competition, which is most definitely not in the interest of the consumer.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 1:47 PM

3vi1:

If EA could go for an entire year without laying off developers (particularly those that just finished a new game), I might have more respect for them.  

Why the hell do they keep buying studios if only to let people go?  The logical answer is that it's a strategy to kill competition, which is most definitely not in the interest of the consumer.

That or since they made a substandard game so they buy out all the rights to a particular sport. I still get mad when I think about they are the only company that can make a game using current players, ect for the NFL. I loved ESPN's 2k series before EA screwed them over and anyone else and what happened to the madden franchise? It just kept sinking lower and lower.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 556
Points 4,485

LOL 2 yrs in a row hehe go EA.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 342
Points 4,510
slugbug replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 3:46 PM

"the tallest trees catch the most wind"

They also contain the most nuts Stick out tongue