3D Printers Create Liquid Scaffolds, Paving the Way for Artificial Tissue

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:06 PM
For all the weird uses of 3D printing, there are many that stand to make the world a better place. One of those is printing liquid scaffolds for use in artificial human tissue engineering, according to C&EN. With these new scaffolds, engineers are expected to have better control over tissue growth when attempting to grow artificial tissue.

Video and image credit: C&EN

Although 3D printers are known for creating solid objects, the custom 3D printer developed by researchers at Oxford University prints liquid droplets. The printer sprays these water droplets (which have been injected with lipids) into an oil/water mixture, at which point the droplets attach to each other, forming scaffolds. Those scaffolds may prove to be better (for creating tissue) than the gel and solid scaffolds in use today. Researchers hope to inject various cells into the droplets to create living tissue.
  • | Post Points: 155
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

That's amazing, it's great to see stories like this.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

The printers these days have been really wicked. The printers looked way different in the 90s.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Xaniac replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:49 PM

Wow, this brings us more closer to ''future''. I hope that ''future'' happens at my time.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

I think this has been around for awhile hasnt it?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 3:07 PM

Won't be long till people are getting shot with 3D printed guns and then fixed up with 3D printed tissue.

At least the potential for danger from the technology has equal potential for good! haha

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

This is so amazing. I can't believe how far 3D printing has come.... and to think of where it can take us. Star Trek replicators here we come...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,650
Points 104,110
MembershipAdministrator

This is very forward thinking technology. I love seeing it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 105

Pretty soon, we'll be seeing Human Augmentation right around the corner.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45

With all the lawsuits against meshes this new tech could actually improve health care!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

This kinda creeps me out actually... The thought of creating something like a replacement human ear in a petri dish just give me the heeby jeebies...

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390

30-40 years ago you could not even make this kind of stuff up for movies. Our grandparents and thier parents saw electric lights and cars, ours parents saw the TV & Radio, my age group saw color TVs,man on the moon ,pong and computers that fit on your desk and now in your hand. What do my kids and grand kids get to see. Everything is moving so fast now. Everyday something new. Life is Great

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 3:08 PM

This is the kind of tech that makes me excited for what is possible. Some of it may be slightly weird like Kidbest100 said about the ear but overall its very cool to have this technology and it be available to consumers at some point for the right price.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

The future of our generation is wearable computing. It may not be obvious right now with the best example a first generation Google glass explorer edition just being released but that will quickly change. in the next 5 years Google glass will be like smartphones.

Everyone will have one except old people and stubborn rednecks. The world we see will be augmented into what we want, you dont have to pull your phone out the screen is always their. you dont have to have a desk, it will be with you in the cloud, your keyboard and screen will be in the lense covering your eye. people's facebook page will be projected across their shirts.

Gaming and larping will change as well, pokemon will be played on the streets of newyork, in the woods as random pikachu's jump out at you. a new world is coming, it will e here soon and your generation will see it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 4:41 AM

AKnudson:

The future of our generation is wearable computing. It may not be obvious right now with the best example a first generation Google glass explorer edition just being released but that will quickly change. in the next 5 years Google glass will be like smartphones.

Everyone will have one except old people and stubborn rednecks. The world we see will be augmented into what we want, you dont have to pull your phone out the screen is always their. you dont have to have a desk, it will be with you in the cloud, your keyboard and screen will be in the lense covering your eye. people's facebook page will be projected across their shirts.

Gaming and larping will change as well, pokemon will be played on the streets of newyork, in the woods as random pikachu's jump out at you. a new world is coming, it will e here soon and your generation will see it.

Seriously? Obviously you do not live in the south and know the rednecks I do. They have more tech than most people do. While Google glasses is something that looks cool its something id never use. Ive never had to wear glasses and will not wear sunglasses since they give me a headache so regardless of how "cool" they are I would not use for the fact they are on my face and I love Google for the odd crap they do.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:06 AM

Thank you for your insight clixxer, i appreciate your point of view. I have some background in obstinate integration. many of the people in my town refuse to buy smartphones or even laptops because they "Rot your brain"

i might be wrong on my timeline, it might take longer than 5 years depending on the success and funding that Google Glass receives.

Wearable computing or at least a version of it is the future of tech. though we might have to wait for enough people to die before we can adopt it as a society. if you want a better understanding of where i am coming from you can check out TWIT's 394th episode. i actually watched it after i wrote the last post.

I didn't really have a great perspective on general technology adoption, i assumed everyone would see the great potential of this product. I'm 18 this product makes sense, also i am a super nerd.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS