HotHardware and EVGA Spring Fling Gaming System Giveaway!

This post has 389 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

It's taken a while during other contests in the past, so all is still good.  It's certainly worth the wait.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, May 6 2013 2:44 PM

Yes sir! Yeah when the contest first started I went and watched all the build videos I could find (props to Macro and Dave) and then when it ended watched them again and looked at dates when they announced the winners and saw that it would be a week or so. Like I said earlier while i'm waiting on who won, i'm more curious to the build video. I did do some looking up and the MB is only about an inch larger than a standard ATX board so it should fit in the case they choose but still wondering how its gonna look.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Clixxer:

I did do some looking up and the MB is only about an inch larger than a standard ATX board so it should fit in the case they choose but still wondering how its gonna look.

Yeah I was a bit curious about that as well... A bit of an odd motherboard choice if you ask me, but nobody should complain XD

I went and looked up the Z77 FTW, and was a bit curious as to how it will overclock.  I went looking for reviews and stuff but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for in the time that I had.  I guess the winner will have to do their research before they OC on that board XD 

(And if they aren't going to OC, they're a bit crazy)

Anyways, I bet that the EVGA Z77 FTW will definitely look massive in the 200R, and I kind of like that, but I'm not sure.  Some motherboards can pull it off, but to me it doesn't look good when you have a case so massive it looks too empty if you have anything on par or lower than an ATX board in it.  Unless you are doing WC of course, then those components take up quite a bit of room sometimes and make it look more natural.  

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:04 PM

Kidbest100:
And if they aren't going to OC, they're a bit crazy

I disagree. Overclocking reduces the overall lifespan of a machine. Some folks, like myself, want our machines to last as long as possible because we can't afford to be replacing them very often. I don't think that makes me 'a bit crazy'. So... if I win this machine, I'll keep it clean, cool, and running at stock speeds for years.

Remember... just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

To each their own though. :) 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:02 AM

Kidbest100:

Yeah I was a bit curious about that as well... A bit of an odd motherboard choice if you ask me, but nobody should complain XD

Let's be clear about this: it's the choice of case and CPU cooler that's odd, the Z77 FTW and Intel 3770K are awesome and kewl choices. Oh crap, that sounded like I was complaining...

Johnny3D:

I disagree. Overclocking reduces the overall lifespan of a machine. Some folks, like myself, want our machines to last as long as possible because we can't afford to be replacing them very often. I don't think that makes me 'a bit crazy'. So... if I win this machine, I'll keep it clean, cool, and running at stock speeds for years.

Voltage and temperature can reduce the overall lifespan of a chip, but there are hardware options which can mitigate this. Sell the 3770K and get a regular 3770 then, if it has a "K", you must overclock. Dems the rules. Stick out tongue

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Tue, May 7 2013 2:34 PM

''Sell the 3770K and get a regular 3770 then, if it has a "K", you must overclock. Dems the rules.''

I agree ! But you can run at stock for the first years and overclock it when needed with an OC Bios Profile.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

The mainboard has Auto-OC setting in the BIOS that will OC the CPU a little without affecting the reliability. The CPU comes with Intel liquid cooling, so an un-aggressive OC is certainly possible without burning it up.

I would OC it a little.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:55 PM

realneil:

The mainboard has Auto-OC setting in the BIOS that will OC the CPU a little without affecting the reliability. The CPU comes with Intel liquid cooling, so an un-aggressive OC is certainly possible without burning it up.

I would OC it a little.

I would have to test its limits, that is all I know. No point in having that cpu/mobo combo and not seeing what its capable of. 

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540

Run it through the mud to see how she handles.

Giddy-up!

SnailAutomobile

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 135

-just checked what is the proco and i seen a feature Anti-thief ! but u have to subscrive for 1 year, lol, acomputer like this ! who ever would jump on it ;) 

no need to OC, but they exist programs,Video game that require an Top End Computer, there u use the red NoS-boost button ;)   l^o^l  

As much as this could run smooth,this computer would handle to CRYSIS 4, Battlefield 5  easy but can have  limit lol !!!  ( add rams, and change video card or add same video card. )

but i don't event know no one having some thing like that Yeahhh!!!! eheh  !  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Johnny3D:

Kidbest100:

I won the FX-8320 build from HH's last giveaway.  I was able to get the FX-8320 from 3.5Ghz to a very stable overclock at 4.4Ghz on stock voltage.  That isn't going to cause in reduction in lifetime of the chip, as my temps sit around 22c at full load, and there's absolutely no voltage increases.

Of course this is only because I hit a wall at 4.8Ghz and decided to step it back for a while.  But the point is, you can OC without effecting the lifetime of your gear.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

Dorkstar:
But the point is, you can OC without effecting the lifetime of your gear.

Agreed,....Manufacturers saw the public's desire to overclock and began to cater to those desires long ago.

Question: Why are some high-end CPUs sold in an unlocked state? Why do almost all Mainboards have a way to automagically overclock your system in their BIOS settings? Why are video cards built with OC leeway in them?

Answer: It's an accepted practice, and it's encouraged too.

PC parts makers provide software solutions to OC their products. They claim superior OC abilities in their advertisements too. They understand that people are drawn to faster products, and they willingly sell ~that~ to us.

Of course they ~all~ have disclaimers in their warranties that we OC at our own risk,...........

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

Still no word on the who the lucky winner is? Congrats to whomever it is. I'm envious, you lucky dog you!

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Wed, May 8 2013 10:54 PM

April fool ! Ha ha ! We got you !Computer

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, May 10 2013 7:41 AM

I rememeber this contest, whatever happened to it? Was there a winner announced and a build video?

...pending.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 170
tjphelan1 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 8:02 AM

Did someone eventually win this?  Just checking, still holding out for my nephew.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 170

Did someone eventually win this?  Just checking, still holding out for my nephew.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 10:04 AM

I'd love some chicken dinner right about now,.........Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, May 10 2013 10:51 AM

realneil:

I'd settle for crow if they'd just stop dragging these things out like they forgot about it.

...pending.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, May 10 2013 12:22 PM

eunoia:

realneil:

I'd settle for crow if they'd just stop dragging these things out like they forgot about it.

Come monday it will of been 2 weeks. Maybe we will find out today.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:01 PM

"Chicken Dinner" = Marco usually serves up some chicken dinner when he announces,.........(Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:52 PM

To help pass the time... here is a "loading/wait" animated gif I made..

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Fri, May 10 2013 2:07 PM

realneil:

"Chicken Dinner" = Marco usually serves up some chicken dinner when he announces,.........(Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner)

or maybe a "Bingo-Bango-Bongo" or somethin snappy

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Fri, May 10 2013 2:54 PM

Can't stop looking...

Indifferent

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 3:42 PM

rrplay:

Yeah, that's another one, isn't it? Ha-Ha!

Well, they certainly have our interest, don't they?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:06 PM

Well maybe monday we will find out!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:15 PM

Sorry for the delay folks!  Winner has been announced here!

http://hothardware.com/News/HotHardware-and-EVGA-Spring-Fling-Gaming-System-Giveaway-Winner/

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:27 PM

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 8:31 PM

Dave_HH:

Ha-Ha!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MySong replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 10:58 PM

I WANT TO WIN THIS :) I'm currently looking at this on a dell laptitude d810 :(

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

It's taken a while during other contests in the past, so all is still good.  It's certainly worth the wait.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Mon, May 6 2013 2:44 PM

Yes sir! Yeah when the contest first started I went and watched all the build videos I could find (props to Macro and Dave) and then when it ended watched them again and looked at dates when they announced the winners and saw that it would be a week or so. Like I said earlier while i'm waiting on who won, i'm more curious to the build video. I did do some looking up and the MB is only about an inch larger than a standard ATX board so it should fit in the case they choose but still wondering how its gonna look.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Clixxer:

I did do some looking up and the MB is only about an inch larger than a standard ATX board so it should fit in the case they choose but still wondering how its gonna look.

I went and looked up the Z77 FTW, and was a bit curious as to how it will overclock.  I went looking for reviews and stuff but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for in the time that I had.  I guess the winner will have to do their research before they OC on that board XD 

(And if they aren't going to OC, they're a bit crazy)

Anyways, I bet that the EVGA Z77 FTW will definitely look massive in the 200R, and I kind of like that, but I'm not sure.  Some motherboards can pull it off, but to me it doesn't look good when you have a case so massive it looks too empty if you have anything on par or lower than an ATX board in it.  Unless you are doing WC of course, then those components take up quite a bit of room sometimes and make it look more natural.  

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:04 PM

Kidbest100:

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:02 AM

Kidbest100:

Let's be clear about this: it's the choice of case and CPU cooler that's odd, the Z77 FTW and Intel 3770K are awesome and kewl choices. Oh crap, that sounded like I was complaining...

Johnny3D:

Voltage and temperature can reduce the overall lifespan of a chip, but there are hardware options which can mitigate this. Sell the 3770K and get a regular 3770 then, if it has a "K", you must overclock. Dems the rules. Stick out tongue

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Tue, May 7 2013 2:34 PM

''Sell the 3770K and get a regular 3770 then, if it has a "K", you must overclock. Dems the rules.''

I agree ! But you can run at stock for the first years and overclock it when needed with an OC Bios Profile.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

I would OC it a little.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:55 PM

realneil:

I would OC it a little.

I would have to test its limits, that is all I know. No point in having that cpu/mobo combo and not seeing what its capable of. 

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540

Run it through the mud to see how she handles.

Giddy-up!

SnailAutomobile

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 135

-just checked what is the proco and i seen a feature Anti-thief ! but u have to subscrive for 1 year, lol, acomputer like this ! who ever would jump on it ;) 

no need to OC, but they exist programs,Video game that require an Top End Computer, there u use the red NoS-boost button ;)   l^o^l  

As much as this could run smooth,this computer would handle to CRYSIS 4, Battlefield 5  easy but can have  limit lol !!!  ( add rams, and change video card or add same video card. )

but i don't event know no one having some thing like that Yeahhh!!!! eheh  !  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Johnny3D:

Kidbest100:

I won the FX-8320 build from HH's last giveaway.  I was able to get the FX-8320 from 3.5Ghz to a very stable overclock at 4.4Ghz on stock voltage.  That isn't going to cause in reduction in lifetime of the chip, as my temps sit around 22c at full load, and there's absolutely no voltage increases.

Of course this is only because I hit a wall at 4.8Ghz and decided to step it back for a while.  But the point is, you can OC without effecting the lifetime of your gear.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator

Dorkstar:
But the point is, you can OC without effecting the lifetime of your gear.

Agreed,....Manufacturers saw the public's desire to overclock and began to cater to those desires long ago.

Question: Why are some high-end CPUs sold in an unlocked state? Why do almost all Mainboards have a way to automagically overclock your system in their BIOS settings? Why are video cards built with OC leeway in them?

Answer: It's an accepted practice, and it's encouraged too.

PC parts makers provide software solutions to OC their products. They claim superior OC abilities in their advertisements too. They understand that people are drawn to faster products, and they willingly sell ~that~ to us.

Of course they ~all~ have disclaimers in their warranties that we OC at our own risk,...........

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

Still no word on the who the lucky winner is? Congrats to whomever it is. I'm envious, you lucky dog you!

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 635
Warsoul replied on Wed, May 8 2013 10:54 PM

April fool ! Ha ha ! We got you !Computer

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, May 10 2013 7:41 AM

I rememeber this contest, whatever happened to it? Was there a winner announced and a build video?

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 170

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 170

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 10:04 AM

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, May 10 2013 10:51 AM

realneil:

...pending.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, May 10 2013 12:22 PM

eunoia:

realneil:

Come monday it will of been 2 weeks. Maybe we will find out today.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:01 PM

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:52 PM

To help pass the time... here is a "loading/wait" animated gif I made..

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Fri, May 10 2013 2:07 PM

realneil:

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 540
altereDad replied on Fri, May 10 2013 2:54 PM

Can't stop looking...

Indifferent

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 3:42 PM

rrplay:

Yeah, that's another one, isn't it? Ha-Ha!

Well, they certainly have our interest, don't they?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:06 PM

Well maybe monday we will find out!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:15 PM

Sorry for the delay folks!  Winner has been announced here!

http://hothardware.com/News/HotHardware-and-EVGA-Spring-Fling-Gaming-System-Giveaway-Winner/

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,622
Points 55,190
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, May 10 2013 5:27 PM

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, May 10 2013 8:31 PM

Dave_HH:

Ha-Ha!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MySong replied on Sat, Jul 13 2013 10:58 PM

I WANT TO WIN THIS :) I'm currently looking at this on a dell laptitude d810 :(

Page 10 of 10 (390 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 | RSS