Intel Getting Closer To Launching Internet-Based Pay-TV Service

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,722
Points 1,208,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Mar 26 2013 7:11 PM
Intel is getting into the TV business, that much we already knew. But how soon? That's a question that's seemingly close to being answered. According to a new Bloomberg report, Intel -- the chip-making giant -- is "making progress in talks with Time Warner, NBC Universal and Viacom to obtain TV shows and films for a first-of-its-kind pay-TV service." Of course, these reports aren't being confirmed nor denied by Intel, but it's awfully likely to be true. After all, Intel wouldn't announce that it would be trying its hand at TV distribution without some deals being within reach.

It sounds as if money is the major hurdle remaining. Intel isn't hoping to deliver a la carte content; rather, it's in negotiations over financial terms of how much Intel will have to pay to deliver material that's already piped to a number of ISPs. Broadly, it seems that Intel has the support it needs to launch an Internet-based TV platform, but the dollars are apt to be a major sticking point. After all, whatever is agreed upon is likely to determine how expensive this is for consumers.

It's also mentioned that only a handful of major networks are "close" to buying into Intel's ideas, while others aren't so close. Having the major ones onboard from the start would hopefully give Intel that momentum required to get the ball rolling, though. The idea seems to be a complicated one. Intel wants to deliver pay-TV over one's broadband connection, but there aren't really any benefits to using Intel's service over existing pay-TV options. After all, if you have to pay for broadband Internet, that ISP is going to cut you a deal to also use them for pay-TV services. So, the only real feather in Intel's cap would be the ability to do a la carte, which it refuses to enable. It'll be interesting to see if people opt for Intel's TV services, which will reportedly boast a sexier user interface, over something that's perhaps cheaper, and certainly more familiar.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 3:57 AM

Just seems to for Intel to get into the TV business unless they are trying to Pull a...a....a....I don't even know what they are trying to pull. If Intel wants into the TV business then start making TVs or something that becomes vital to how a TV functions at a high resolution or something but I just don't get this one. Even with a better UI they would have to have cheaper than dirt prices to get people on their service unless they bundle like a month free for buying a product or something. Will be interesting to see what happens that's for sure.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I don't know about what you guys think, but why does everyone want to get into the TV market?

I can see that it is a good move for some, but intel? Really?  All those people that are going to want to go and upgrade to the new 4K standard aren't going to be that familiar with intel, as much as they will with toshiba or samsung, or the other guys...

Either way, I would definitely trust intel more with my TV than apple... Maybe this could be a smart move for them

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS