Chase “Glitch” Makes Customers’ Money Disappear

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,733
Points 1,209,520
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Mar 20 2013 12:57 PM

I don't know how much money you have in your bank account, but I'm willing to bet that if you logged into your banking's website and saw $0.00 across the board, you might be a little concerned. Some Chase customers earlier this week found themselves in this exact situation, leading many, as you might expect, to believe that they could have been hacked. Fortunately, no such thing occurred (for once).

Credit: Jason Kuffer (Flickr)

Instead, it appears that Chase experienced a technical glitch - one that simply reported financial information as default values. "It has nothing to do with the cyber threats - it's an internal issue. We are very sorry to our customers for the inconvenience." said a company representative. That's good, Chase, because according to one Twitter user, you just about gave them a heart-attack.

The bank hasn't disclosed the number of affected customers, and it's not even clear how long the problem actually persisted. However, when you're as large a bank as Chase is, you can imagine that the number wasn't a mere handful.

As rare as it is to hear about something like this happening, I do question whether or not it's actually pretty common. I experienced this issue with a bank account a couple of months ago, and again a couple of years ago (different banks). "Hack" didn't come to mind for me, as I just figured it was the bank doing some maintenance. Even so, it's definitely better to err on the side of caution and never risk anything. Fortunately for those bit by this Chase bug, it was actually a bug and nothing more.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 7:15 PM

I have a credit card with chase, no banking, I would have been thrilled to see a balance of 0 lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 180
ErazmusNZ replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 11:59 PM

Hah, it's almost like the herp-derp eftpos, if you could say an "almost heart-attack" is the same as laughs.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/336046,herp-derp-eftpos-update-goes-public.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 6:24 PM

Ahhhh... I was wondering why they had taken the site down when I was looking at it this past week. Now I know.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,929
Points 24,760
digitaldd replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 11:11 AM

i wonder if their ssllabs test results have anything to do with it.  As you can see some of their servers get an A while others a C, the servers with the C rating support weak key exchanges. Wells Fargo and Bank of America both get A's across the board.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS