HotHardware "Giving Thanks" with Gigabyte and Thermaltake - Giveaway System Build

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,790
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 8 2013 8:40 PM
HotHardware Giving Thanks 2012 Giveaway Winner!We finally got all of the hardware and were able to build our "Giving Thanks" system, which we gave away over the holidays. It's a sweet system featuring a Gigabyte 990FX-based motherboard and custom Radeon HD 7950 GPU, along with an AMD FX-8320 CPU, all wrapped up in some awesome Thermaltake components. Hope you like it!

• | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 345

nice

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

Dear HH,

I love you

Dorkstar

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 9:31 PM

Hehe game in good health Dorkstar!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 409
Points 5,255
FreeJet replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 9:51 PM

Ooo-wee! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout (Willis). Happy Thanksgiven, Dorkstar.

I experienced that same delay because the folks over at Thermaltake apparently had a massive back-log to ship out because I won one of those sweet Level 10M gaming mice way back at the beginning of November, 2012 and I just got it yesterday (March 07, 2013).

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

What a beautiful rig. Great video, too - wish you guys would do more videos including 2 1/2 Geeks!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 11:59 PM

We lost our host, Super Dave. Loved doing the show. Any chance you know a half geek that can record and produce video? :)

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

Marco C:
Any chance you know a half geek that can record and produce video? :)

I wish I did because I really miss 2 1/2 Geeks. Hopefully someone will step-up and help you out soon, Marco!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Not a bad build cleanliness wise! Personally I would want to assemble it myself, but that is just me.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 12:50 AM

MayhemMatthew:

Not a bad build cleanliness wise! Personally I would want to assemble it myself, but that is just me.

I actually considered requesting this, but so many people were anticipating the build video I figured i'd let them get a chance to see it.  Building it is half the fun, but plugging in all those damn front panel cables, and cable management is half the headache as well.  I figured I'd leave that up to Marco, haha.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:07 AM

Just built one for a customer last weekend in one of those cases with two Nvidia (650) cards and a Corsair PSU of roughly the same wattage Those cases run exceptionally cool from what I saw as it was very close to that besides the GPU's I used a Corsair dual fan liquid cooler with about the same cooling end product. The customer has been gaming on it since he took it home. Grats to you Dorkstar on that one as that MB is well above anything he had for sure and that FX processor has way more headroom as well from what I understand not to mention you easily have the extra wattage to do anything you want to above the stock clocking there. That MB is also enviable for sure top of the line (UD7's) Gigabyte mb's are works of art!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:48 AM

Pretty sweet system. I'm still loving the rig I won a few years back, and I'm sure this one will make someone just as happy!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:50 AM

>> . Loved doing the show.

You should do a live show where you just discuss the latest article and weeks stories, with a Google Hangout!

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 10:04 AM

Congrats Dorkstar! Looks like a very fine PC for sure.

I know what you mean about the front panel leads, certainly my least favorite part too. Seems to me the motherboard and case manufacturers should be able to get together and come up with a standard plug layout to get rid of that mess of leads.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 8:07 PM

Oh yeah me to 3vi1 this should keep you happy for quite a while Dorkstar

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,438
Points 102,175
MembershipAdministrator

This is a really fine PC and you'll enjoy it for years to come too. Congrats again!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:34 PM

Oh drool! And that's even before I made popcorn and watched the video a second time!

Worth the wait, so thanks to Gigabyte and Thermaltake for once again putting up top shelf swag and Marco's super clean builds (mine's a mess comparatively!) Beautiful balanced luxurious quality gamer build.  I especially enjoyed Marco having to utter the words "our lucky winner Dorkstar" :D

Can't stop watching, this is going to spit out some serious frames!

I hate you Dorkstar :P

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
ShemIr replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:08 PM

Ya TQ so much. i hope so

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 8:53 PM

I was just sitting on the couch with the wife watching the video again (she did not watch it voluntarily), and she pointed out something to me.  If you all back to the video and skip ahead to 1:45 you can see a cute picture of someone who loves their daddy :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,438
Points 102,175
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 10:25 PM

She blesses all of the builds before they leave Marco's house.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Mar 12 2013 12:11 PM

realneil:

She blesses all of the builds before they leave Marco's house.

Haha, my daughter will do the same.  Unfortunately she prefers to only bless the power button.  By bless the power button, I mean walk up and press it while i'm in the middle of something.  It's cute though, when she turns them off she just starts saying "Uh-Oh!" and starts to cry.  For some reason she hasn't figured out that she can press the button again to get the lights to come back on.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 10:57 PM

Sigh.

I got the system in today.  I suppose you're wondering why i'm sighing and have yet to post up any pictures yet?  Well the GPU was dead by the time it got here.  I'm not sure how far Marco took the install, but the second you put your password into windows (after updating the drivers), that card just hard crashes.  I was praying I was wrong and tried a few other things before we decided to toss the card in my friends rig.  Of course he had the same results, or else I wouldn't be posting this message.  

Now other than that, everything is working beautifully now.  This keyboard rocks, and i'm actually surprised by how much I like this mouse.  I honestly expected to completely hate this mouse, but I've found myself enjoying it more and more.  It's just something about the size, it's really long and I've got abnormally large hands for an average height human.  So instead of feeling like i'm holding a golf ball, I feel like I have total control of the mouse.

Alright, took a 10 minute break to get origin installing battlefield 3, working on getting these headphones installed and such.  I'll get pictures posted later when I get down to my SD reader on the laptop.  In the meantime there is fun to be had.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 409
Points 5,255
FreeJet replied on Thu, Mar 14 2013 11:35 PM

Dorkstar:

Well the GPU was dead by the time it got here.

Yikes!  That's a shame.  Out of curiosity,  I had a quick look over at the reviews under  the Gigabyte HD 7950 sold at Newegg and saw that a number folks have had the cards crash or not work at all after an initial install.  But the folks at Gigabyte seemed responsive to their complaints.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Mar 15 2013 3:42 PM

Alright, finally got around to heading downstairs and transferring the images over.  So here they are!

Just showed up at the door!  I was curious why Marco was sending me clothes from Kohls, but it merely a re-purposed box containing all the extra goodies.

Cracking her open :P

I wasn't going post this one up, but I think everyone would understand when I say, I really appreciated the handle on the top of the computer.  Made pulling this beast out of the box much easier.

Had to get one in :)

This is what was contained in the Kohls box.  Oh, and that's Ron Swanson.

Just opened her up for the first time.  Everything looks beautiful.

Doing some last minute checks to make sure everything was intact before I plugged her in.

Well, as we all know by now, I had some issues getting everything to work, which we later pinpointed the GPU.  So the desk got a little destroyed.  Overall, i'm really satisfied with everything.  The meka G1 is so responsive, i feel like I can probably type 150+Wpm now, up from my normal 90wpm with my old keyboard.  The mouse is large, and fits really well in my hand.  I know it looks really awkward but i'm incredibly impressed with it honestly.  The Shockspin headset (which I didn't know was 7.1 until it got here) sounds excellent, and allows me to hear everything around me.  The only issue I have with the headset is the mic isn't attached to a boom, so I just simply clipped it on to the headphone cable which seemed to solve that issue.  I've also been notorious for sticking my mic into a bowl of mic when I forget i'm wearing my headset..so that should clear that problem up.

Hopefully Gigabyte will help me with this GPU and I can put it to the test.  I traded my buddy my old PSU and CPU for 2 of his 120gb ssd's, tossed them in Raid and had it up and running about 5 hours after I got the delivery.  First time i've ever had a SSD in my desktop, so that paired with all the sweet hardware has made for a rather pleasant experience, even if i'm lacking the 7950 right now.

Thanks again to Marco and Dave.  I know you guys have had a lot of struggles getting this thing out the door, and of course with the bad luck that followed this build the GPU would be DOA, lol.

If anyone has any questions about anything in this rig let me know.  I took unboxing shots of everything that came in the rig, so if you're particularly interested in a single item, I've probably got pictures to go along with my description.  As of right now, I feel the shockspin headset, and the Meka G1 are completely worth every penny.  I haven't had the opportunity to put the mouse to the real test yet of gaming, but I got BF3 installed over night and plan on cranking it up here in a minute.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 6:56 PM

So I got notified by gigabyte that my replacement card would be here on Friday, so last night I decided to benchmark the build using Catzilla.  This is still with no overclocking, and running a  MSI HD7850.

In comparison to other builds, I scored rather low and was sort of embarrassed.  However, I still had hopes of squeezing some juice of this since there was so much overclocking potential.  So, I decided to wait until the HD7950 got here.  Around 4:00 PM this afternoon it showed up at my door, in a symbolic white box of purity.  I popped her in, and loaded up catzilla one more time to get a benchmark in before I decide to start overclocking.

So how much of an improvement did I do in catzilla? Check it out below.

No overclocking, running the Gigabyte HD7950

I was rather amazed at the difference just the GPU provided.  The kiddo is headed out to my moms this weekend, hopefully I'll get some time to sit down and start seeing what she's capable of.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,438
Points 102,175
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 7:08 PM

Heck of a change there!

It seems to be running quite well now! Stick out tongue

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 1:46 AM

realneil:

Heck of a change there!

It seems to be running quite well now! Stick out tongue

Indeed!  I still haven't gotten around to overclocking yet.  Just picked up a new 27" monitor, so I've been busy drooling all over myself.

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS