ASROCK Troubles...

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle Posted: Mon, Mar 4 2013 3:46 PM

Please take the time to read..

I did a custom build, usually go with Gigabyte boards for all my custom builds ( Have NEVER had a problem with any custom build I've done for a client with Gigabyte boards).  This time I was doing one for myself for my office so I decided to try an ASROCK board. I figured if I have any trouble with it, at least it's my own.

I do research, usually on Newegg, about most if not ALL parts before I buy. This board sounded alright for the money. I had it less than a year and the onboard audio failed. I paid about 120 for it. I sent it back after much trial and tribulation with ASROCK. I get it back a couple weeks later - works for about a week and then the audio fails again.

I left it alone, decided to put a sound card in it instead of dealing with the trouble. Went away on vacation, came back - no video. I tested all hardware and even tried a discrete graphics card, nothing. Sent it back to them again. The computer was working fine (with the exception of the onboard audio) until one day the video crapped out. So it was NOT out of the case at all. Sent it back...they tried to tell me that there was no video because the pins under the CPU were bent. I uninstalled the CPU myself (they were NOT bent). I'm a tech and I know that can cause problems such as no display. If this were the case I would have bent them back and fixed it myself. They were trying to tell me even though it was under warranty, this would cost 50 bucks. Plus I had to pay for all shipping (40 bucks) cause it was apparently my fault. If I had to pay almost 100 bucks to get the board fixed and back I wasn't going to bother. Anyway I argued it - Told them maybe it happened in transit but those pins were NOT bent and the PC was working fine until one day it wasn't. And they didn't just bend in the case. I also packed it well and inserted that plastic cover over the socket. The a few days later, a tech calls and says that the CPU AND memory were showing errors. I tested the memory before I sent this in with memtest86.

Because I argued, they apparently replaced the board and sent it back to me again with my components. (They wanted the CPU and memory as well). No cost. In the email they say its been fully tested and works ok. I put the board back in after getting it... No video and it shuts off after about 10 seconds. I disconnect everything so all that is connected is the board, PSU and CPU/heatsink. It powers on and STAYS on but no video. If I connect any drives or put any memory in...it shuts off after 10 seconds.

CPU or a non-fixed motherboard???? In my experience, CPU's rarely fail. The culprit is usually the motherboard. Since I can't get any video is there some way I could test the CPU? I do not have another board here right now with an 1155 socket.

The CPU is an Intel Pentium G620 (sandy bridge) and the board is an ASROCK H61DE/S3

Thanks guys

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,093
Points 11,065
CDeeter replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 5:28 PM

Well I suppose the easiest way to rule out the CPU would be to try another CPU. Maybe a friend would be willing to let you borrow theirs if you don't have one around your shop.

Although it's too late now, in the future if you send out a board to be fixed, take a sharpie, and put a circle around the top right stand off hole. That way when it comes back you know for sure whether they replaced it, or sent the original back.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:14 PM

Wouldn't that maybe void the warranty?

Since I can't get anything on the screen, I know that's probably the only way. But I know one thing: I will never go with one of their products again, for any build. First and last time. The customer service is also terrible. Sometimes you're lucky if they get back to you within a week and for that whole company for the RMA's there's one girl... same one every time and she is rude and does not have a clue!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,093
Points 11,065
CDeeter replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 5:17 PM

I don't think so, it's not like you'd be messing up any circuits. Or you could just put a dot on the smooth side of one of the PCIe slots. I don't see how they could argue that.

Oh and I agree, burn me once, and I never buy again from any one. That's not to say that I've never had any problems, but if I have to fight with their tech support, then it's game over. I had a Acer netbook with overheating issues, and after talking with their rep, they had me send it in. They fixed it and sent it back, no problem. That kind of thing doesn't bother me. It's when vendors try to play games, I just cut them off.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Tue, Mar 5 2013 7:29 PM

Overheating is an issue that can be easily fixed most times and a repair that I do often for people. But if it's under warranty I can understand. At the same time, I'd just as soon save myself the hassel and repair it myself seeings as how it'd probably cost me 50 bucks to send it back and go through with a warranty.  That's in response to your Acer comments.

With the board, I made THEM pay for the shipping and they played A LOT of games. All I did was fight with the tech support and their rep which wasn't even tech support but handled RMA's. They tried to tell me no video was caused by the bent pins. The pins were not bent when I took it out of that case and the video just crapped out one day. And what about the audio that went (for the second time) before that? Nuh uh. Then after all that, they try telling me my memory AND CPU is bad?

It just sounds fishy to me. I want to order a new board, probably a Gigabyte, and try my components with that because I tested the RAM beforehand with no errors. And CPU's, especially Intel, don't usually blow so easily.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,093
Points 11,065
CDeeter replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 8:25 AM

Yeah it was under warranty, so I let them handle it, heh.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 158
Points 3,050
krikle replied on Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:10 AM

I'm not saying my problem is NOT the CPU, it is the ONLY component I didn't test or swap or both.  But generally, if one of the 2 is to give problems, its the motherboard. And since they gave me the run around and changed their story about 3 times as to what was wrong...I think I'm going to order a new board and give it a go.Also they said they replaced the board with a new one. No way this was new. It was tarnished and visible ware. Either it was my board which they dirted up or a used one. The FIRST time I RMA'd this board..same thing. It def wasn't a new one. Especially since the audio failed a week later.

Worst thing that can happen is I'll have to send it back or just do a new build and sell it (if it doesn't solve the problem). But I'm going to order a new board. It just sucks because I still paid about 120 bucks for this and it's supposed to be under warranty. But it doesn't matter, I STILL have to shell out for a new one. I'm not even bothering to deal with their tech support again. This is the second time I've had to send this board away, promised a new one and didn't get it. Not worth the hassell. Will NEVER buy an ASROCK board again. Don't care what anyone says or how 'good' they are supposed to be.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS