Embedded System Developers Turn To Android and Linux For Operating Systems

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,378
Points 1,192,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Mar 3 2013 2:31 PM

It might not come as much of a surprise, but according to a recent survey conducted by EE Times, Linux continues to tear up the charts in the embedded market (embedded refers to special-purpose PCs found in things like TVs, media players, cars, machinery and so forth).

Between 2012 and 2013, companies began to shift more of their embedded systems over to Android, representing an increase from 13% to 16%. Likewise, Ubuntu and FreeRTOS shares also rose, from 12% to 13% each. Debian use remained the same, while most of the other selections saw some slight decreases. Most notably, Wind River's VxWorks dropped to 7%, from 11%.

Interestingly, in-house/custom solutions saw an increase from 22% to 24%, which contrasts with the results seen from the last report where users claimed they'd be making a shift over to Android - 34% of users, in fact, versus 28% from this latest report.

Regardless of that, the trends bode well for Linux. Site LinuxGizmos did the math to figure out where exactly Linux stands overall in this chart, and found that 2013's usage sits at 50%, versus 46% from last year. Given Android is a "free" operating system, and a robust one at that, it seems likely that it will continue to rise straight through the next year, although given the increase of in-house systems, it'll be interesting to see if that's a trend that continues as well.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

The thing about Inhouse/Custom solutions is that they very well might be Linux derived.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 626
Points 5,600
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 11:47 AM

You'd have to imagine that'd be the case, because it seems awfully inefficient to build an OS from the ground up rather than take a quality base and just build around it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Ugh, I wish the companies I worked for knew what was capable with linxus or android based platforms.  They'd rather pay from hobunk company thousands of dollars to deliver us some crap built that is hardly functioning.  I've seen a lot of companies invest in software that must be accessed via VPN, which creates huge delays in user inputs.  The last company I worked for finally fixed this issue, by having the software accessed independently by the user, and once the user was connected to the internet it would find all the data the user had updated and pushed it to the server.  Of course, that company got bought out 3 months ago and they're scrapping that software, lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS