Google: Saving For a Rainy Day with Piles of Cash

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,918
Points 1,117,845
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Mar 2 2013 2:51 PM

It was revealed earlier this week that Google has a current cash stockpile of $45 billion, and it's led some to wonder what the company might want to do with it. The same questions have surrounded Apple for quite a while as well, and with its hoarding of an enormous $137 billion, it's no wonder. As far as Google is concerned, though, there's no rush. What's important is having the cash on-hand when it's needed.

Case in point: Google's acquisition of Motorola, which set it back $12.4 billion. While a far cry from $45 billion, no company wants to be left insufficient funds when a prime acquisition option becomes available. While it's hard to speculate at this point what acquisition could cost Google even half of what it has on-hand, it's hard to fault the company for wanting to play it a bit safe. Google's Patrick Pichette expects shareholders to agree, "It serves the shareholder best to actually have that strategic ability to pounce".

Google's cash stockpile will come in handy if it decides to build 1,000 more of these

How large Google's shareholders will want this to get before taking action is unclear. Many on the Apple side have been urging Apple to do something - it has a bank vault that would made Scrooge McDuck wince, after all.

USA Today mentions that since its IPO, Google has purchased a total of 237 companies for a combined $11 billion. Many of these were smaller, with the bulk being taken up by YouTube ($1.76 billion) and DoubleClick for $2.3 billion. Given the enormity of YouTube, it's almost humorous to see that Google paid less for it, versus the ad-platform DoubleClick.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 5:48 PM

Good thing they're saving cash. Now that Marissa Mayer is doing things like abolishing their work-from-home options, it's only a matter of time before the A-listers move to new startups.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator

Marissa's move is pretty disappointing. It sure didn't take her long to start making changes that are going to upset people, and upset workers are the last thing you want.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 6:05 PM

Yeah... that move in particular rubs me wrong. That's something you do in a company full of managers that can't manage people remotely and are supporting a bunch of monolithic waterfall projects. Google's always seemed to succeed from more agile-based developments, so this is a sign of a turn in the wrong direction.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator

Bingo, well said. All I can do now is picture her as a crow swooping over the entire workforce keeping an eye on every little thing. Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to work.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 51
Points 420
MCook replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 8:39 PM

Help people and animals with it, build homes, feed them, work on curing diseases (Antibiotic resistant bacteria are a HUGE developing threat).  Saving money is good, hoarding it when when others need that extra more than you is wrong. Why are these companies applauded when they hoard cash, is that some sort of accomplishment that takes skill and wits?

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 650
Atticus14 replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:55 PM

hmm? Marissa Mayer works for Yahoo now - that happened at Yahoo, not Google.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,479
Points 53,935
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 8:43 AM

Yeah, what are you knuckleheads talking about Marissa for? Whatever she has done recently has nothing to do with Google. She's the new CEO of Yahoo! now and left Google a long time ago.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:41 AM

lol... brain misfire... I have no idea how I crossed Yahoo and Google in my head when I was writing that. I blame alcohol: the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 580
Points 5,265
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 12:24 PM

Err, I mistook. I thought you brought Marissa up because she was going to drive her best workers to Google, haha. *slaps head*

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS