Windows 8 Market Share Climbs to 2.7 Percent, Windows 7 Stands Pat

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Mar 1 2013 12:58 PM
Another month is in the books, and that means another opportunity to examine market share data for Windows 8. Microsoft's touch-friendly operating system (OS) grew its market share to 2.7 percent in February, up slightly from 2.26 percent in January. Going back even further, Windows 8's share of the market was 1.72 percent in December and 1.09 percent in November, a little over a month after it launched to the general public.

Windows 7 still claims the top spot with a 44.55 percent share of the market. That's not much of a change from last month when it claimed a 44.48 percent stake, though it's somewhat interesting that it's share grew since last month, if ever so slightly.

Samsung Notebook

Windows Vista, meanwhile, nudged backwards from 5.24 percent in January to 5.17 percent in February. For all intents and purposes, Vista and Windows 7 have essentially stood pat, while Windows 8 is slowly but steadily finding its way onto more machines.

It will be interesting to see where Windows 8 goes from here now that most of the initial promotions have expired. On the flip side, OEMs are starting to get more aggressive in releasing hybrid systems (Microsoft was reportedly unhappy with its hardware partners for failing to be fully prepared for the Windows 8 launch), and Best Buy is still running a promotion where shoppers can save $100 on touchscreen systems running Windows 8.
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

Almost 10% on steam survey for OS and growing

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 10:04 PM

As older notebooks and desktops get replaced it's just about all Windows 8 when there's a preinstalled OS.

Try to find a new notebook or desktop from the MS gold partners that has a Windows 7 option.

I'll wait for Windows Blue to try again for a worthy replacement to my beloved Windows 7 x64.

Windows 8 just ain't it.

I have W8 Pro on a spare drive and try to dabble on it at least once a week but I encounter a lot of Windows Update errors,checkdisk running on bootup, slower WiFi connections and the Windows Store.

I have the free Classic Shell installed.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Points 630

I need to format C some time soon but I'm sticking with Win 7 x64 for now.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 11:42 PM

God knows I need to format C too. Nothing like a fresh install to rejuvenate performance.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 11:42 AM

W3Schools shows it at 4.8%, same as Linux.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,945

There are still plenty of system builders that over W7 as an option. I'm guessing they are selling enough of those that they W7 % of total is still creeping upwards.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS