China: U.S. is Responsible for Majority of Cyberattacks Against Military Sites

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,149
Points 1,185,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:45 PM
Apparently still fuming over a recent report by an American cyber security company blowing the whistle on Chinese government-sponsored hacking groups, China's Ministry of Defense says its military sites are frequent targets of attack originating from the U.S. It also said that Mandiant's report is "full of loopholes" and adamantly denied (again) that the Chinese government has ever supported any hacker activity.

Like the U.S., China claims that it too is is facing serious cyberattacks. The Defense Ministry said that it recorded an average of 144,000 hacker attacks per month last year, and that 62.9 percent of them came from the U.S. In other words, China is accusing the U.S. of being responsible for nearly a third of all cyberattacks against its military networks.

People's Armed Police Squad

"We note that the U.S. media recently reported that the United States will adopt the policy of 'pre-emptive cyber attacks, large-scale expansion of network warfare units, and the development of network rules of engagement. The above practices are not conducive to the joint efforts of the international community to enhance network security," Defense Ministry representative Geng Yangsheng said in a translated statement.

A week ago, Yangsheng told Reuters that it's easy for hackers to steal IP addresses, and that hacking attacks from compromised IPs happen on a daily basis. The point he was making was that the U.S. shouldn't assume China is responsible for hacker attacks that are traced back to the country, yet China's Defense Ministry is perfectly content to blame the U.S. for hacking attacks based on IP tracking.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 265

All I can tell you is that it was a Chinese IP address that attacked my server and destroyed my business some years ago.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:10 PM

Both countries are probably doing it to one another, and other countries are doing it too.

They'll all deny it 'till the cows come home.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:35 PM

All I want to know is, do the cows ever come home?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:46 PM

Not until the fat lady sings Dave.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:54 PM

Dave_HH:

All I want to know is, do the cows ever come home?

around here, yes. There are farms all over,.........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 145

I like how the word "hacking" is so freely used. If you're not gaining any information, then are you really hacking? As far as the IP issues go. Any "script kiddy" can grab an IP and say "I've hacked you." Without actually gathering any personal/important information. So, same theory applies here. Microsoft, apple, our government has reported no loss of information, so great job on the failed hack!

Also, usually countries put redundant/false information out there to be grabbed to fool the said hacker. So, if indeed anything was taken, then I doubt it was anything of importance.

As for China; you're fighting a losing battle here. We all know you guys aren't producing good programmers. In fact, it's your rivals India(our allies) who are producing quality programmers. So, good luck there China.

Also, a side note. China tell us again; how's that space program coming along? You know the one where you guys are about 100 years behind (tech wise) USA and Russia.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 115

that's not what my firewall says

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS