Official Steam Client For Ubuntu Linux Released

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,110
Points 1,184,005
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Feb 15 2013 2:24 PM
It’s only been a matter of weeks since Valve announced that Steam for Linux was in beta, but it’s apparently all polished up and ready for action. You can now grab the Steam for Linux client, which is compatible with Ubuntu versions 10.04-12.10, for free from the Ubuntu Software Center.

This is a huge deal for folks who love both gaming and Linux, because there previously weren’t many options for good titles on their computers. Having Steam on a Linux box unlocks a plethora of titles, including Team Fortress 2 (which is free), Half-Life, Counter-Strike 1.6, Counter-Strike Source, and many, many more. Of course, Big Picture is part of the Linux client, so users can bring Steam into the living room on their Ubuntu computers.

Steam for Linux

Yes, Ubuntu, because the client is designed to deliver its “best experience” on Ubuntu, with, incidentally, NVIDIA graphics. (AMD, however, is not slouching on this; the company just released Catalyst drivers for its Radeon cards and embedded graphics.)

Steam for Linux

Until February 21st, Valve is offering a deep discount on more than 50 Linux titles, to the tune of 50-75% off, which is proof that Valve loves Linux users and wants them to be happy.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,535
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:30 PM

I'm so glad this day finally came. It almost got to a point where I just figured it never would happen, but lo and behold, Windows 8 pushed Newell over the edge.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,568
Points 54,750
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 4:17 PM

Haha... I wonder if it was Win 8 or just the proliferation of Linux and the need to tap new platform revenue streams.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,905
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 12:18 AM

I'm glad to see it happen, no matter why.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

A very nice attitude for the PC-sector. Microsoft is getting old, linux is better. And nobody needs to do separate R&D for everything, that gets lost with companies. Open source is good, but personally when this grows big and mainstream one needs to ditch the code-idolatry of RS also. Please do read: http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268 for how to get games to run amazingly on linux (better than windows) with low-jitter config.

Peace Be With You.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 9:37 AM

Probably a combination of factors, not the least of which was competition posed by the MS App Store... mind that Steam is steadily going to be selling non-game programs as well as games. So the option of being a gateway app on MS Store and/or limited to legacy desktop would not have been sufficient for them going forward...

Though, they still need to develop a bigger library of programs and games for Linux and it would help if they can release pre-optimized versions of Linux distros to make it easier for the average user... otherwise many may still not bother.

While it's nice to have options for those of us who don't mind any early limitations...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 2:30 PM

I bought a couple of new games from the sale to show my support.

BTW, if you're using a 64-bit distro and flash does not work in Steam, you can fix it by following the instructions here: http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/steam-linux-flash.html

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 6:41 PM

This is good news for Linux users but lets not confuse the progression of Steam for Linux as really promoting Open Source, other than offering the option for Linux based OS to have access to options and services it has lacked up till now!

Steam for Linux is pretty much the same as it is for Windows! They're selling software, whether they be games or apps and how those get made won't really change!

Just because the service will be available on Linux doesn't mean the software it offers will be Open Source! Especially, if they want to charge for it!

This is why not all Open Source advocates were exactly happy about the development as they prefer true Open Source solutions. They just mostly accept it because it will still help promote Linux, even if it's at a less than ideal cost of bringing a pay for service, which doesn't have to comply with Open Source, to Linux.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 12:43 PM

Steam runs great on my desktop with an amd 6850 but still the drivers for my nvidia 460m laptop are pretty bad and has a lot of problems running steam games.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS