Western Digital Unveils New $70 WD TV Play 1080p Media Streamer

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,896
Points 1,174,430
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:14 AM
Western Digital is no stranger to the media streaming universe, and this week it's investing in that universe once more with a new set-top box. The new WD TV Play is priced to rival the low-cost Roku box, with a $69.99 MSRP providing a fairly stout amount of functionality. There's built-in Wi-Fi, of course, and portals for Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, VUDU, SlingPlayer, Spotify, Pandora and Facebook (amongst others). Customers can play content located on any computer or network attached storage that has a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) server, and content can be streamed at full 1080p resolution. WD TV Play's new remote control features pre-programmed buttons, giving customers one-touch access to their favorite apps.

If that's too much effort, just download the free WD TV Remote app for iPod touch, iPad, iPhone or Android.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 1:25 AM

I like options so I am glad more companies are making devices like this, however i'm not sure WD belongs in this space especially seeing as it doesn't come with any onboard storage... and Google TV 2 by the likes of Vizio can be had for $99 which does everything the WD TV does along with web browsing.

I also don't like the model being printed on the front with what seems like a redundant "WD WD"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS