Redbox Instant Coming To Xbox 360 Console, PS3 And Wii U Left Out

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,440
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Feb 5 2013 8:11 PM
In the world of exploding markets, video streaming is high atop the list. Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft -- pretty much every major consumer electronics name is wrapped up in video streaming in some way. And now, even a name that's linked tightly to nightly DVD rentals is venturing into the virtual world after finding success in the physical market. Redbox Instant has been talked about for some time now, but one major point remained unanswered: where would it arrive in terms of the console landscape? This week, Microsoft's own Major Nelson announced that Redbox Instant by Verizon will be coming to the Xbox 360 "in the very near future." And that's the good news.

The bad news, unfortunately, is that the entire service will be an Xbox exclusive, so PS3 and Wii / Wii U owners won't be enjoying the spoils. If you are currently a Redbox Instant beta participant, you’ll receive an email with a unique code to access the app on Xbox 360 in the coming days. Interested newcomers to the Redbox Instant beta can request entry into the beta by visiting www.RedboxInstant.com. A Redbox Instant by Verizon subscription package, priced at $8 per month for DVD or $9 per month for Blu-ray, combines four one-night credits for the latest movie releases at Redbox kiosks with access to a library of popular movies available for unlimited streaming. Through the app, Xbox 360 movie fans can also purchase and rent the newest digital releases without needing a subscription.

To clarify, the "exclusive" is only in terms of gaming consoles.

Somehow, Microsoft's aging console continues to bust out new hits, maintaining a great deal of steam despite being quite old in its lifecycle. Any owners of those other consoles feeling a little sting?
  • | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 405

I was very interested in the Redbox service, but that's not going to happen now since I don't have an Xbox 360. Why in the world would they limit their potential market like that? Whatever deal Verizon and Microsoft have going, Verizon has to be coming out the loser on this.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

@SDonaldson Yeah right . Redbox should be kissing MS ass , Do you have any idea how many people get on Xbox Live ? You got it twisted sir .

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

yeah but do you also know MS dumb asses make you pay an extra fee to use apps you already pay for like netflix and such it's called xbox gold and it's the biggest rip off i have ever seen.MS is a rip off they sell a system that for the same price as there 4gb junk box you can get a 250gb PS3 and use any app without paying extra fees see I will never give any of my money for a hunk of *** like a xbox 360!!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have to agree with the other comment makers. I own a Wii and was really looking forward to getting the Redbox service and cancel my Netflix.. So much for that happening =(. This really sucks!! Redbox should want to target ALL perspectives and not just a hand full only.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

So stupid to be XBox exclusive. That is the one machine I have zero interest in owning. Too bad. I was going to sign up tonight.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

redbox is going to miss out.... Xbox live is stupid by itself . I have a Wii and a PS3 and I also have an Xbox360. but I will not pay for Xbox Live ... PS3 and Wii are free to play online. Ps3 is far superior to Xbox in my opinion. Looks like I will not be getting Redbox streaming... its Redbox's loss .... not mine. Bad business deal by Redbox if you ask me. no big deal I still have my Netflix and Hulu + and amazon streaming and Epix ... the only one losing out is Redbox.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

You know Apple with their IPhone went exclusively with AT&T for a long time. It wasn't until the Android devices came out that Apple wised up and by that time, they had lost so much market share that it is difficult to make up that lost ground. It appears that Redbox will have the same fate. Remember Redbox, what you did to Blockbuster, will happen to you if you don't change your ways.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS