Half Life Now Available on Steam for Linux and Mac

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 25 2013 2:44 PM
Valve’s breakout Half-Life series has become the video game equivalent of movie classics like Star Wars: the game just never stops being cool. Lately, Half-Life has been getting attention for the Source engine remake (Black Mesa), which gave the 1998 game a massive graphics makeover. Today, Valve quietly released the old-school Half-Life for Linux and Mac platforms, causing a stir among die-hards.

Half-Life In Linux

The game, which is available for $9.99 on Steam, hasn’t yet been updated to indicate that it supports Linux or Windows, but players are reporting being able to purchase and play the game on those platforms. You probably own it already on your Windows PC (if you’ve ever bought a version of Half-Life, the original game likely came with it) but it’s great to see the classic making its way to other platforms, even fifteen years later. If you’re at work and have to wait to download the game, check out some screen shots, courtesy of player Conzar.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:00 PM

I already have all of the Half Life games on Steam. Does this mean I can use HL games on my Linux box? Or do I have to buy them for Linux?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,631
Points 55,235
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:12 PM

That is an excellent question. I think if you own them on Steam, no matter where your account is, your Steam games will follow.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:17 PM

Dave_HH:

That is an excellent question. I think if you own them on Steam, no matter where your account is, your Steam games will follow.

Good news indeed. I have a lot of Steam games, so as they port them to Linux I can just use them. I'm good with that.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 626
Points 5,600
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:28 PM

Valve's thought process is that if you already own the game, you shouldn't have to re-purchase it just because it's been released for a new platform. There might be some exceptions, but I haven't seen one yet.

I gave the game a go last night for about an hour, and it ran great. I did run into an issue where each time I picked up the Crowbar, it shot me back to the main menu, but that issue was remedied later in the evening, somehow. I also dabbled in some quick MP action, and it worked without a hitch.

I am kind of holding off of going further in the game in hopes that Valve will continue to port over all of its Source games. I'd rather enjoy the game with the updated visuals / improved engine.

I sure hope Valve is planning to port over the Portal games soon :D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 6:33 PM

realneil:

Dave_HH:

Good news indeed. I have a lot of Steam games, so as they port them to Linux I can just use them. I'm good with that.

That is great news and one of the things  I really like about Steam is that the games continue to follow on different rig and boots.>>might even find the time to actually  finish a few of them too lol :)

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Not Ranked
Posts 74
Points 815

I'm so excited I love linux and also Ubuntu!! Its so awesome!!! OH! And by the way, no you don't get all your games I have the orange box and I only get to play team fortress, none of the other games are there for me to play.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 626
Points 5,600
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:58 PM

The other games don't appear because they've not yet been ported over to Linux. The only games to make the journey so far are Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

If Steam has the Linux install for the game then you can always play it for free if you own it in Windows. I have a little over 30 games that I bought before Steam Linux that I now have in my Steam Linux library.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 7:33 PM

Some of the others have been ported (like L4D2), but they haven't been released to the beta users. It looks like Valve's getting people to concentrate on TF2 and trying to get every bug out of the engine. It's a pretty smart way to prevent different people from reporting the same bug in 4 different games that turns out to be the same bug in Source, and makes their bug reports more manageable.

I'll bet the others start getting released at a faster and faster pace once the common TF2 issues are squashed.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 7:36 PM

Yep - I have 31 in my list already showing up. And I'll probably another 20 or so, after the rest of the Linux ports are posted... all without paying a dime. I think I'll use that money to buy some indie and Valve games via Steam. :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS